Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. In my quest to find an inexpensive place to get my brylcreem done, I've run into some fun things.1) Midas wants 200. I need to find a place that bends pipe. So I went to a " custom exhaust" place and they want 450 ( to brylcreem !!!!!) They say that they use 16 gauge stainless steel, mig weld and they bend the pipe the way so it won't leave a kink.So then we start talking about cat back systems. This guy says that most cat back systems develop cracks or leaks within months. He says they ( cat back people) use 18-20 gauge pipe with kinks in it that rust. Ok, Since many of you have cat back systems, have any of you had problems (rust, leaks etc). I'm TOTALLY confused. I just want a sound that sounds JUST like it sounds when it comes from Dodge except LOUDER. Thats all. I figure that brylcreem is the closest thing. Also, if ANYONE in NoVA knows of ANYONE that can brylcreem at a fair price, PLEASE p.m. ME:knockout: :knockout: :knockout:

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
They're blowing smoke up your skirt....this should not cost more than $100 TOPS! Keep shopping around by phone. Sound confident in your description of what you want done and if they quote you a price higher than above, LAUGH OUT LOUD at them and tell them you're not new. Be patient and it will happen.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
x2 I would'nt paying anything over $100.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I thought Stainless had to be TIG welded. A typical shop would charge around 50 to 75 bux - TOPS.

Scott

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stand corrected TIG weld

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, what is the differences in thickness in the pipe? like304,

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
MIG, TIG, PIG...who gives a crud? The point is the shops were wanting WAY too much for the job. A clean solid bead is the most important welding issue IMO. This guy just wants to find a good shop to do the job at a fair price.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was quoted 50 bucks for mine here in Cali, don't pay much more than that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MIG, TIG, PIG...who gives a crud? The point is the shops were wanting WAY too much for the job. A clean solid bead is the most important welding issue IMO. This guy just wants to find a good shop to do the job at a fair price.

YES !!!!!!!!!!! EXACTLY!!!1 tHANK YOU SO MUCH Now if I can just find a shop in the Fairfax Va. I'd be Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That doesn't neccessarily signify a "full penetration" weld.......

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok, what is the differences in thickness in the pipe? like304,
304 isn't the thickness of the pipe it's the grade of stainless. The different grades have different amounts of nickle and chromium, and sometimes other metals like molybdenum or titanium, in them for different applications. We use a lot of 316SS at the plant because of its resistance to corrosion in certain processes. 304SS is a common grade of stainless steel to be used in exhaust applications.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I have not heard of anyone having any quality problems with their cat back system ( ie. rust, weak/bad bends) so is that correct? I was looking at the JBA cat back system and it looks like ( at least the one I looked at) it has clamps to put the system together. Is that enough? or do you weld it instead? While I do want to do the bryl method, paying 200.00 for it ( the lowest I've found so far) to be done is kind of counter-productive. I may as well go cat back. I'm sorry if this is all too much b$tching, but I don't want to make a mistake in all this. From what I've read in all the posts, the most anyone has paid for bryl was about 100-120.Thanks gor all the help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts