Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a quick question for you. I have the premium sound system with the amp and sub, and I had a professional company install a Pioneer AVIC-F900bt navigation system in my car a few months ago which worked out great. My question is that I now want to add a second amp (a mono amp) and sub. I don't want CRAZY amounts of Bass, but just a bit more than what the factory sub spits out. My main question is do I need to worry about the ohms in the amp/sub if I'm just connecting the amp and sub to the back of the pioneer via it's sub input (as opposed to connecting the sub to the factory amp and having to worry about the right amount of ohms).

I want to buy this cheap kit on ebay which comes with an 800W amp, sub, box, and the wiring for $99, so I know the ohmage for the second amp and sub will be compatible with each other. As I said, I'm not looking to shatter any windows here, I just want A LITTLE more bass! :)

I'd appreciate your help and advice. Thank you!

-Scott

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
$100 will not get you any more bass.

Yeah, seriously. I know you're not looking for lots of bass, but $100 will literally get you none. You won't even hear it in the trunk. No, I'm not exaggerating.

My ultimate budget set-up (for the consumer who needs literally the cheapest thing worth buying):

MB-Quart RWE-302 12" - $70
Cadence TXA-1502 - $100
Knuconceptz 8GA wiring kit - $30
Groundshaker sealed 12" box - $50

You're looking at $270 with tax and shipping. That's a bare minimum. And even then, an extra $50 (to get the TXA-3002 amp instead) would go a very long way. And don't expect much from this set-up, either. Of course, you could get a little more output by custom-building a ported box for the sub/s you end up getting. About 3-6dB, actually.

And to answer your question; the only time you need to worry about resistance (ohms) is when you're looking at the interaction between a speaker and the amplifier powering it. The amplifier (unless it is a regulated power supply like JL's Slash amps) will make more power at a lower resistance. That being said, most amps are not stable at resistances of 1 ohm or less, so you will most likely be shooting for 2 ohms or higher. And you need to take care that you're not overpowering the speaker/s. But this has nothing to do with the head unit; just plug in the RCAs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts