Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I did my 4.0 swap my front driveshaft came apart at the slip joint with a 1 in 4 chance of getting it back together as it came apart.
I do see some white markings on the shaft, 1 up on the end, wanted to see if they were supposed to align up or not.
When I slid mine together the light was poor and it looked like a line was on shaft then another line up on yoke and they were matched when I put together.
I have a vibration at highway speeds, unsure if this shaft engages in warm temps or only spins when cold or sensor etc commands it or if it spins all the time and the solenoid on the driver side floating shaft controls when front engages, not that far into this..
I swapped tires at same time as old ones were all cracked up with a set of a 2014 AWD that had decent tread, but also older tires, just not cracked up.
And I also could have a bad CV joint somewhere too, symptoms of inner tripoid joint failure, L Front axle was replaced.
Since shops are booked for months around me to check balance on tires, and a lot of work dropping crossmember, possible rack, exhaust to get this shaft out, and shop that could check balance is 150 miles round trip and would charge me nearly 200 to do it, thought would ask you guys if you have any images of that front driveshaft, ones that may show any white markings from factory like the ones in my images below to compare... thanks...
Gas Auto part Metal Pipe Composite material

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Automotive fuel system Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Machine

The ear opposite of where I aligned it has a white mark on it, the ear I did align it too looked like it did as well when was underneath laying in filth.. lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention in this thread, my car is a 2010 AWD Rallye..
Red paint was my attempt to make sure if went back on same way, did not expect it to fall apart, that dang oil pan to bellhousing bolt they put in from the front so we have to either drop pan or tilt engine to pull shaft, or pull both motor and trany out.,. I just ignored that bolt and put case onto pan before dropping in place...

Top picture far left can see ear with marking like shaft, was cramped for space taking pics on simple ramps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see for $125 I can just buy a 3rd party shaft, so might go that route if balancing tires or inspecting axles is a bust.
Looks like extended ear to extended ear is how they set up, so there were only 2 options and if I chose wrong guess is where vibration is...
My luck,,,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts