Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 R/T with R&T which I think has the Daytona exhaust? Putting the sound issue aside for a moment, which of these 2 ideas would have a better HP gain:
1) Remove the suitcase muffler and install straight pipes(bryclreme)
or
2) Get a Blastin Bob's resonator replacement with the glasspacks and stainless tips.

Since I believe the muffler is basically a straight through design, would option 2 be nearly as good as a cat back?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do both! Sounds great and it will give you the most unrestricted airflow possible from a catback. I was worried about back pressure issues resulting in loss of hp, but after the pipes had some time to break in and the computer nazi thing learned what it needed to learn I was completely satisfied with the setup. There definitely is a small hp gain that you can feel, but nothing like getting heads/cam or anything like that. It is loud, so it may not be the mod for you, but in my opinion it is the best sound I have heard from a catback on the Hemi.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Putting the sound issue aside for a moment
I don't think I'll do both, I just wondered which of the two is a greater bottleneck for the exhaust flow.
I don't like a car's exhaust to be loud for the sake of loud. I want it to mean something. I want a free flowing exhaust that improves power. If that makes it louder, cool.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The resonators are a greater bottleneck than the suitcase muffler. Take a look at them, you'll see how the exhaust flows in, then out. The suitcase is straight through with perforations. Perforations=Daytona<R/T2<R/T.

I replaced my stock reso's with the Blastin Bobs glasspack resonated kit. Although I can't say that I felt an increase in power, I can say that I took off very heavy, restrictive mufflers and replaced them with a light, free flowing system. It's lighter, sounds better and looks alot better than stock, and presumably performs better as well. While the kit increased the overall sound level, it does not create any drone at any RPM range for me. Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between a resonator and muffler? Ok, it's the same. Resonator is just like a muffler. Yes. I know. Resonator is to absorb sound waves. Well so it the muffler. Most cars have a resonator followed by a muffer. LX has a muffler followed by a resonator(s).

If there is no difference, why not just call it "two mufflers?"

Not trying to be a wise guy. Just trying to understand it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but what is the difference between a resonator and muffler? Ok, it's the same. Resonator is just like a muffler. Yes. I know. Resonator is to absorb sound waves. Well so it the muffler. Most cars have a resonator followed by a muffer. LX has a muffler followed by a resonator(s).

If there is no difference, why not just call it "two mufflers?"

Not trying to be a wise guy. Just trying to understand it.
I have also wondered this but I think it's just easier than calling them "the rear mufflers".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did the Brylcreem on my SRT this week and it does seem to launch with less hesitation. Maybee its me hitting it harder now to hear it but it does seem to have made an improvment.

Even though the suitcase was flow through it was 2.25" vs the stock 2.75" so there was a definate restriction.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
you are correct. they are ALL mufflers.

they call it the suitcase muffler(the big one) cuz of its shape, and to distinguish it from the resos.

they call them resonators because they exist to cancel the drone caused by the RESONANATING frequency of your engine in 4 cylinder mode.

so theyre called resos. its not that they are not mufflers. but they are different types, and thus distinguished as such.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the Brylcreem on my SRT this week and it does seem to launch with less hesitation. Maybee its me hitting it harder now to hear it but it does seem to have made an improvment.

Even though the suitcase was flow through it was 2.25" vs the stock 2.75" so there was a definate restriction.
So the pipe form the conveters is 2.75"? And then the muffler is 2.25"? What about the pipe after the muffler, back to 2.75" again? That would be a bottleneck,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pic 2.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

Pic 7.JPG

Thats correct from what was pulled from my SRT on Monday.

Cats to Suitcase 2.75"

Suitcase 2.25"

Suitcase back 2.75"

I havn;t checked the reso's for pipe sizes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I believe he's talking about his SRT8 mike. I think the R/T's have 2.25" front to back. Interesting though. Had no idea the SRT suitcase was 2.25".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes I have an SRT8

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe he's talking about his SRT8 mike. I think the R/T's have 2.25" front to back. Interesting though. Had no idea the SRT suitcase was 2.25".

I attached th Pic to try and show the reductions befor and after.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, 74frisky07, I Have The Charger Srt8 With Exhaust Stock, Yours Modifications In The Exhaust , The Sound Its Better?
Improve Acceleration?

What You Say?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I ordered a Blastin' Bob's kit with the glasspack and double wall tip. Being that the muffler is straight through, I figured the resonators had to go. We'll see...

·
Registered
64 Posts
The sound is a great improvment and I do notice a better launch power havnt tried to see if there is any improvement at top speeds yet.

I'd say the Brylcreem is the best mod for the buck.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
The sound is a great improvment and I do notice a better launch power havnt tried to see if there is any improvement at top speeds yet.

I'd say the Brylcreem is the best mod for the buck.
period. :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
OH THE SUITECASE´S TUBE IN THE SRT 8 IS 2.25.???WTF
THE MOD BRYLCREEM 2.75 TUBE ITS THE GREAT SOLUTION.

YEA THE BRYLCREEM MODS ITS THE BEST MOD FOR BUCK.

ONE MORE VOTE FOR THE BRYLCREEM.:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts