Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does a cat back improve performance on a Daytona or R&T?

I've been flip flopping about the exhaust on my R&T. I want a little more sound and tried the Blastin' bob's glasspack 4db kit. Sounded ok at hwy speeds, sounded good at WOT, a little loud and resonating at idle and off idle. Just slow cruising through the neighborhood at 20-30mph it was pretty loud inside. There didn't feel to be any performance gain so I took the BB off and sold it.

I found the Volant cat back online for under $500 so I ordered it. It has 2.5" pipe, full size mufflers and resonators so I figured it would be fairly quiet. A week has gone by and it hasn't shipped yet. I am gambling that I will like the sound, but I figured at least it will have more HP. But I have been looking further and I found a Magnaflow and Corsa performance chart each showing their cat backs giving about 10 HP over a stock R/T or 300. But I have the R&T package which is supposed to already have 10 HP due to exhaust. So will a cat back do anything for me at all? I may add an intake and probably a Predator tuner, but that's about it. I really doubt I will ever do heads or a cam.

So do you think a cat back is worth it, or should I explore other avenues of exhaust mods: Brylcream, the BB Magnaflow resonators, etc? Maybe leave it stock and add high flow cats/downpipes?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
the exhaust on r/t w/ r&t is basically the same as the normal rt except its louder because there are a bunch of holes in the suite case muffler. so yea the volant will improve your performance. the difference between the gains of various after market cat backs is usually negligible. the magnaflow or corsa isn't going to make any more noticeable power than the volant. with that said, if i had to pick one to be the best out of those 3, i'd put my money on volant. and i'm not really sure on the exact weight of the volant system, but it'll probably weigh like 20+ pounds less than stock which is always good

as for your question about other avenues.. i'd recommend some long tube headers and high flow cats if you are looking for performance and have the money.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the exhaust on r/t w/ r&t is basically the same as the normal rt except its louder because there are a bunch of holes in the suite case muffler. so yea the volant will improve your performance. the difference between the gains of various after market cat backs is usually negligible. the magnaflow or corsa isn't going to make any more noticeable power than the volant. with that said, if i had to pick one to be the best out of those 3, i'd put my money on volant. and i'm not really sure on the exact weight of the volant system, but it'll probably weigh like 20+ pounds less than stock which is always good

as for your question about other avenues.. i'd recommend some long tube headers and high flow cats if you are looking for performance and have the money.
I'm not sure that's true. I thought the standard R/T had a reverse flow muffler. The Daytona and R&T have a straight through type, with the the R&T having more holes.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I've noticed a little more pickup since I added my Corsa. I also love the sound.

·
Registered
928 Posts
yeah the most restrictive part of our exhaust is the cats. and the "headers" if you can even call them that, are pretty lame as well. Ive sure noticed some pickup now that I have my setup on there.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well even though I never got a ship notice, my Volant cat back arrived today. I called my buddy at the muffler shop, but he is too busy this afternoon. I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the most restrictive piece of the stock exhaust is definately the catted mids, as OSU thunder said.
our stock "headers" are called "exhaust manifolds" as they are like 1 big tube with 4 tubes comin in perpindicular to it. totally screwy flow pattern, not smooth at all.

when you have them all coming into a collector from the same direction, they make much better flow, but you cant take advantage of that without high flow cats.

just elaborating on USOthunder really :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
elaborate away my friend. half the time I just grunt and point.

sure is pretty isnt it mike, sitting in that box just saying INSTALL ME!!!! =)

mine taunted me for a couple weeks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
elaborate away my friend. half the time I just grunt and point.

sure is pretty isnt it mike, sitting in that box just saying INSTALL ME!!!! =)

mine taunted me for a couple weeks.
NO SUCH LUCK! I was reading another post about the weight savings and I went out to see the weight on the box.... 33 pounds! I open it up and it is a single exhaust for a truck! Well that is going back fast!

I think my plan now will be Blastin' Bob's Magnaflow resonator kit and high flow cats. I think that would give some good performance and not be too expensive or loud.

·
Registered
928 Posts
awwwwwwee i had a feeling it was the tuck setup when you said the price and it match the truck ones exactly on other sites.

sorry man =/

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I know what you mean and the price was too good to be true, but my receipt had the right number and it said Dodge Charger 5.7L.

Anyway my original point is that maybe I don't need a cat back with my R&T to improve performance.

·
Registered
928 Posts
well its been said before, you wont gain all that much until you replace the headers. I would liken the stock headers to trying to breath through your mouth and nose at the same time. (dont try it unless you are alone, you will just look like an idiot ;))

you will however gain more from just the cats than just the exhaust in a comparison. but the Blasin bobs will give you MANY more smiles for gallon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts