Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a bit new here and purchased a 2021 Scat Pack Widebody about 2 months ago. Love this car!

I developed a pretty good clicking sound when parking and turning under 5mph. I did some research and found out this is a relatively common issue with two piece performance brakes. Most folks went to the dealer and the cleaned the mating surfaces and retorqued everything for a fix. Well, I had an appointment yesterday at my dealer and they said they need to order parts, a brake friction kit... He said that they could clean and torque things, but it would just come back. They gave me the attached document and I've never heard of friction discs? They are using adhesive on them?? Looks like they are using them on Durango, Cherokee, Charger, and Challengers with performance brakes according to the document. Also, they have no idea when part will be in.....

Anybody have any input or experience with this??

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
No, but it's well known that the 2 piece front rotors are noisy and rattle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had my SPWB for 4 weeks now and I think I had the clicking noise within the first week of having it. Doing my research, I knew there was a high chance the car would make clicking noises at low speeds in the parking lot. As long as there is no safety issue with the clicking, I honestly don't see the point of taking it to the dealership if the noise will just come back. My solution has been to rev the engine, nobody can hear the clicking noise then lol.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,281 Posts
I got 4 pistons so I don't have this issue but it makes sense. Parts are world wide hard to get in all fields. I work in the Audio video world and some things come in on a regular basis but other things are a waiting game.

I'd like to read about your experience during and after your repair.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got 4 pistons so I don't have this issue but it makes sense. Parts are world wide hard to get in all fields. I work in the Audio video world and some things come in on a regular basis but other things are a waiting game.

I'd like to read about your experience during and after your repair.
I'll be sure to post once it's done. It will be nice if it's a permanent fix!

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus Dynamics
65 Posts
I had zero issue with my 6 piston brakes. Side note I highly recommend swapping the OEM pads to powerstop ceramic pads you get 99% less brake dust which was a big annoyance to me with the OEM pads and there was no noticeable performance difference.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had zero issue with my 6 piston brakes. Side note I highly recommend swapping the OEM pads to powerstop ceramic pads you get 99% less brake dust which was a big annoyance to me with the OEM pads and there was no noticeable performance difference.
I have really noticed the amount of brake dust the stock pad leave behind. I'll def look into the powerstop pads.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I didn't have any clicking with mine either. Why on earth would you pay for performance brakes and then throw on ceramic pads? If you want performance brakes, dust is just a fact of life. Kinda silly to accept longer stopping distances so that you don't have to (gasp) wash your rims once in a while. And a 2 ton land yacht needs all the braking help it can get.

Best,

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus Dynamics
65 Posts
I didn't have any clicking with mine either. Why on earth would you pay for performance brakes and then throw on ceramic pads? If you want performance brakes, dust is just a fact of life. Kinda silly to accept longer stopping distances so that you don't have to (gasp) wash your rims once in a while. And a 2 ton land yacht needs all the braking help it can get.

Best,
The powerstop pads are better than the Brembo pads for street use. Powerstop pads don't have lesser stoping distance only more brake fade when they get extremely hot (ex. if you do heavy duty constant braking on a road course time attack not street or drag strip driving). They actually even have a more linear brake feel than the OE pads in my experience. Also why would so many hellcat owners who have 700 plus HP 4 ton boats be switching over if it's such a significant performance disadvantage? Just my 2 cents and experience with the powerstops.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The powerstop pads are better than the Brembo pads for street use. Powerstop pads don't have lesser stoping distance only more brake fade when they get extremely hot (ex. if you do heavy duty constant braking on a road course time attack not street or drag strip driving). They actually even have a more linear brake feel than the OE pads in my experience. Also why would so many hellcat owners who have 700 plus HP 4 ton boats be switching over if it's such a significant performance disadvantage? Just my 2 cents and experience with the powerstops.
I have not tried those specific pads, but ceramics in general do not outperform the OEM pads or any decent performance pads. I've always preferred the Hawk/Porterfield HPS/HP+ compounds, but the last time I checked (I don't have the car anymore) they weren't available for those with the 6-pots.

Edit: I take that back. The HPS pads do seem to be available now.

Best,

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Iooks like a thin damper to close any minor surface gaps causing the click.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Iooks like a thin damper to close any minor surface gaps causing the click.

Thanks for posting.
Agree. It's just seems surprising to be adding parts to it. I may be overthinking it, which I tend to do with my cars/bikes, but using adhesive to mount them? My brake experience is at the pad changing level, lol.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SP-Dynamics
21 Posts
I had the same clicking issues 2 months ago on my 6 pots. Dealer took care of it after a day or two and haven't heard anything since.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had the same clicking issues 2 months ago on my 6 pots. Dealer took care of it after a day or two and haven't heard anything since.
Did they say what they did?

·
Registered
2021 Charger SP-Dynamics
21 Posts
I am pretty sure they provided some sort of spacer and it did the trick. Couldn't really give you any more details than that, but it did the trick and they are holding up after 18 hard laps at the track.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am pretty sure they provided some sort of spacer and it did the trick. Couldn't really give you any more details than that, but it did the trick and they are holding up after 18 hard laps at the track.
I would say that's a pretty good test. Thanks for the input. I'll wait to hear when they get the part, as I was told "no eta"..

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hello,

I'm a bit new here and purchased a 2021 Scat Pack Widebody about 2 months ago. Love this car!

I developed a pretty good clicking sound when parking and turning under 5mph. I did some research and found out this is a relatively common issue with two piece performance brakes. Most folks went to the dealer and the cleaned the mating surfaces and retorqued everything for a fix. Well, I had an appointment yesterday at my dealer and they said they need to order parts, a brake friction kit... He said that they could clean and torque things, but it would just come back. They gave me the attached document and I've never heard of friction discs? They are using adhesive on them?? Looks like they are using them on Durango, Cherokee, Charger, and Challengers with performance brakes according to the document. Also, they have no idea when part will be in.....

Anybody have any input or experience with this??

Thanks!!
Hi TravScat,
Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine started clicking after 1500 miles. Seemed to have happened around the time I added the wheel locks. I just re-torqued the wheels to 110 ft.lbs with my non-marring 22mm socket and the clicking went away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts