Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
3,141 Posts
Same engine. You can't use any of the electronics from the 08 in your 06 anyway. Install it, use your year sensors where there are any harness variations.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Read what I wrote again, but slower this time.
Do you know the year breaks on the early models for 6.1/6.4 compatability. If I was to go with 2014 or under what would you recommend?

My understanding is the earlier small blocks are stronger than the newer ones but don’t know the details (block, crank, pistons, rods, etc).

Just thinking for a future project car. Maybe a Challenger some day since I have a Charger.

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
3,141 Posts
Do you know the year breaks on the early models for 6.1/6.4 compatability. If I was to go with 2014 or under what would you recommend?

My understanding is the earlier small blocks are stronger than the newer ones but don’t know the details (block, crank, pistons, rods, etc).

Just thinking for a future project car. Maybe a Challenger some day since I have a Charger.
05-07, then for 08 they revised the CAN bus that ran to 2010; 09 switched to VVT hemi except for the 6.1. This is why the 09-10 PCM will work in the earlier models but doesn't have the capability to actuate an SRV. Revised again for 11-14, with a crank reluctor wheel change in 13. CAN bus revised again in 2015.
03-08 5.7 basically the same engine in both car and truck form, with packaging differences. Cast assembly. 05-10 6.1 all the same in both car and Jeep form, with packaging differences. Forged crank (same stroke, bolts into a pre-eagle 5.7 if you're trying to make a poor man's forged engine), better heads. 09+ 5.7 basically all the same with some physical and packaging differences between trucks, cars & Jeeps. Cast assembly but better top end, more cam & compression plus VVT. Crank wheel change in 2013. 11-18 392, basically all the same in both car and Jeep form, with packaging differences. Forged crank. Crank wheel change in 2013. 2018 started using the BGE block. 2014+ Ram 6.4 truck only, uses BGE block. Forged crank.
05-08 it's easier to use a non-VVT engine so you don't have to fight the vehicle electronics. Anything 09 and on uses VVT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts