Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the process of ordering a set of Devil Eyess for my Charger and on check out noticed a Payment Method Surcharge. What in the heck is this? It was different for different payment methods.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
I was in the process of ordering a set of Devil Eyess for my Charger and on check out noticed a Payment Method Surcharge. What in the heck is this? It was different for different payment methods.
Vendors incur costs for processing payment depending on the type of transaction. Credit cards run from 2-3%, depending on the card (ball park, and American Express seems to be the most expensive) and up here in Canada debit transaction typically cost about 15 cents.

It seems like this vendor is passing on their transaction costs to the buyer, which many vendors do up here for small ticket items, but are waived for big ticket items.

Example #1: I buy a big-screen LCD TV. The vendor could easily bury the credit card fee in the price, and the debit cost is negligible.

Example #2: I buy a cup of coffee. The vendor would LOSE money on any transaction where the customer used anything but cash. So typically (here in Canada anyway) they will either refuse non-cash payments or assess a fee.

Hope that helps,

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know about the percentage the card companies charge the seller. It's been that way for years. I don't expect a vendor to lose money on their sale but this is the first time I've run into this. They have a price, work your CC charges into that price. Average it if need be and then charge me the price you advertise. It seemed cheap and weird. If I pay with Visa then I have to pay x amount more. If Paypal it's more, but less than Visa. They'll take a check? Well, there goes two weeks waiting for it to clear. Then I'll probably have to pay sales tax since we're in the same state. I guess they gotta do what they gotta do.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
In most cases {hate to generalize to all}, credit agreements do not permit additional fee charges. Last time I was involved in setting up credit card payments, it was clear we would lose our ability to accept CC if we charged a separate fee. Some vendors have accepted a cash discount ilo of charging a fee, but even that is discouraged. Paypal is a different animal.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
In most cases {hate to generalize to all}, credit agreements do not permit additional fee charges. Last time I was involved in setting up credit card payments, it was clear we would lose our ability to accept CC if we charged a separate fee. Some vendors have accepted a cash discount ilo of charging a fee, but even that is discouraged. Paypal is a different animal.
If it's listed a an extra charge for using your Vise (for example) that is a violation...... It depends on how they have it listed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's listed a an extra charge for using your Vise (for example) that is a violation...... It depends on how they have it listed.

Every payment option I tried (i didn't try all of them), when you went to check out, listed in the shopping cart was the price, shipping and payment surcharge. This amount changed with each payment option. I was really hoping Focuz would have come in here and commented. I have a buddy with a Magnum SRT that has them. In fact he was involved with Focuz on their open house showcasing his car. I liked them but I guess I'll wait for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts