Charger Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I didn't pay close to MSRP, let alone over it. I believe the old pricing but I'm afraid those times have come and gone. In general, buying a car is a poor financial decision (period). Particularly cars like ours, there is so much waste and excess. Do any of us actually "need" a car like the Charger, especially those of us with larger motors?? No, we don't. :LOL:

Even with significant savings, I don't see how it is possible to get into the 30k's. Below is a rough example of what I would order for a narrow body SP. Even with being at 4% under invoice, that is at $46,787.52 before TTL. A whopping $5K cash from Dodge (again, if that is ever offered again) leaves you with $41.787.52. You're at a good $44.5K by the time you're all said and done. This isn't even a WB, a Daytona, nor a ~fully~ loaded SP...

View attachment 299792

I think we can agree the prices won't be going down, especially with the announcement of eMuscle, especially new.

Anyway, apologies for my tone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thought I'd chime in, since I was in the exact same position as the OP. I had purchased a 2018 GT and felt a little down that despite the 300 HP, the general mindset is that if it's not a V8 it's not a Charger. Silly mindset in my opinion.

Just know that if you're trying to upgrade to a RT over the SXT, you're really only paying for the v8 engine sound and body. The speed isn't too big of an upgrade until you jump to a SP. in fact the 0-60 difference between a SXT and a R/T is only 1.5 seconds on average. At the end of the day, a charger is a charger. I ditched the R/T for the AWD since the weather in my area is ludicrous for a RWD.
1.5 seconds difference is huge, but I understand your points. Good advice - on the streets, particularly for commuting, it really is a nonissue. The SXT are still plenty fast, especially for that size of car, and it is still a Charger! Some people would kill to have a new Charger, regardless of the trim.

Its easy to think the grass is greener on the other side, but try to enjoy your own yard. ✌

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be smart and keep your SXT for now. Inflation's going up. Fuel prices doing the same. By next year the market will be flooded with people turning in R/T's, Scat Packs, and Hellcats. Your V-6 will be more desirable than any V-8 as a daily driver. Biden's not done punishing the economy just yet. He has a plan!

·
Registered
2020 Charger R/T Frostbite
89 Posts
Hi,
i recently bought a 2021 charger sxt and I am already having buyers remorse about not getting more power. Took a trip to Atlanta and every charger I seemed to see on the street was an R/T or scat pack. Luckily, the dealership was nice and willing to accept my car back and also cover any negative equity since the purchase.

That being said, the cost for my car minus rebates and incentives was roughly 29k. I am looking at getting a charger r/t (has enough power for me and the price is reasonable), but the dealerships around my area (southeast US) All have the 2018-2020 RTs priced at around 43-48k. Most have in the neighborhood of 10-15k miles.

Should I wait to purchase one or just go ahead and pull the trigger. I have looked at other forums and seen that most scatpacks were in this range about this same time last year. I don’t to pay a scatpack price for an r/t if I can help it
Here ya go

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
i recently bought a 2021 charger sxt and I am already having buyers remorse about not getting more power. Took a trip to Atlanta and every charger I seemed to see on the street was an R/T or scat pack. Luckily, the dealership was nice and willing to accept my car back and also cover any negative equity since the purchase.

That being said, the cost for my car minus rebates and incentives was roughly 29k. I am looking at getting a charger r/t (has enough power for me and the price is reasonable), but the dealerships around my area (southeast US) All have the 2018-2020 RTs priced at around 43-48k. Most have in the neighborhood of 10-15k miles.

Should I wait to purchase one or just go ahead and pull the trigger. I have looked at other forums and seen that most scatpacks were in this range about this same time last year. I don’t to pay a scatpack price for an r/t if I can help it
Wait, I only paid 45k for my Charger SPWB a few months ago in april. They will come back down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think we can agree the prices won't be going down, especially with the announcement of eMuscle, especially new.

Anyway, apologies for my tone.
Agreed, when** these big motors start getting axed..watch what these car values do then.

All good! 🍻

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Be smart and keep your SXT for now. Inflation's going up. Fuel prices doing the same. By next year the market will be flooded with people turning in R/T's, Scat Packs, and Hellcats. Your V-6 will be more desirable than any V-8 as a daily driver. Biden's not done punishing the economy just yet. He has a plan!
I've also failed to mention this here, but have brought it up in discussions with friends. If gas prices keep soaring, it's only a matter of time before large displacement vehicles can't be moved for any incentives, similar to 2008. I was using it moreso in reference to the prices of trucks dropping drastically, but it'll include all big, gas guzzling motors.

Give it time and that $43k used RAM 1500 will be down to the mid $20s!

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Charger Super Bee #043, Detonator Yellow, 6.1 SRT8
13 Posts
Hi,

That's too high for a RT unless its a SCAT and even then that's still a bit high bro. Maybe drop down a year and get a good used SCAT or RT and go that route. But do what your pocketbook and heart can handle bro. I wish you well on the Hemi journey.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thought I'd chime in, since I was in the exact same position as the OP. I had purchased a 2018 GT and felt a little down that despite the 300 HP, the general mindset is that if it's not a V8 it's not a Charger. Silly mindset in my opinion.

Just know that if you're trying to upgrade to a RT over the SXT, you're really only paying for the v8 engine sound and body. The speed isn't too big of an upgrade until you jump to a SP. in fact the 0-60 difference between a SXT and a R/T is only 1.5 seconds on average. At the end of the day, a charger is a charger. I ditched the R/T for the AWD since the weather in my area is ludicrous for a RWD.
This is a really weird take.... I feel like the R/T is a great package and blend of price and performance. Yes the SP is the best "value" performance wise. To pretend like 1.5 seconds to 60 is nothing is weird. You can get the R/T to 60 around 5 seconds, I think Motortrend took a rental R/T to 60 in 4.9 seconds on 87 octane. It is a bigger jump from a GT to the R/T than from the R/T to the Scat which can get into the low 4s.

I respect the V6 cars they're a great choice for many folks who want to save a few bucks or don't care about the power difference but that was a really weird take to pretend that the only meaningful upgrade comes at the Scat level.

Also you comment on weather is odd too... if it is that bad that you can't get by with winter tires on the RWD then you probably should be in something with more ground clearance than an AWD Charger too.

Reactions: kernel

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The jump between a Pentastar and a 5.7 is arguably the same as the difference between a 5.7 and a 392. The big gap is between the 392 and the Hellcat.

Reactions: Nuwanda

·
Registered
259 Posts
The jump between a Pentastar and a 5.7 is arguably the same as the difference between a 5.7 and a 392. The big gap is between the 392 and the Hellcat.
Isn’t the difference between a Hellcat and 392 even less? I think the ScatPacks can get close to 4 seconds, Redeye is a claimed ~3.5?

·
Premium Member
2020 Daytona Charger
4 Posts
Hi,

Try searching in other areas ......I drove 4 hours to go buy mine just a month ago and paid 39k with 7k miles
Try dealerships in more rural areas .....It worked for me

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Isn’t the difference between a Hellcat and 392 even less? I think the ScatPacks can get close to 4 seconds, Redeye is a claimed ~3.5?
These are just general times of what I've seen;

Pentastar V6 0-60 6.5 secs quarter 15.0 secs

5.7 Charger 0-60 5.1 secs quarter 13.4 secs

6.4 Charger 0-60 4.4 secs quarter 12.5 secs

6.2 Hellcat 0-60 4.0 secs quarter 11.0 secs

6.2 HC Redeye 0-60 3.6 secs quarter 10.6 secs

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Semantics. Sources for performance rarely jive but all are useful. So is a 0 to 60 calculator.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Semantics. Sources for performance rarely jive but all are useful. So is a 0 to 60 calculator.
Yeah, at the track I usually see 392s running 12.9-13.3, every now and then you see someone who knows how to drive get low 12s on street tires. That's just a general time frame.

It's true that the 0-60 times on street tires aren't too far off between the 392 and 6.2L, but it's above that 60mph where the 6.2L keeps pulling as the 392 dies out, which is funny because that's the difference between the 5.7 and 392. The 5.7 has that initial push back in your seat but then not much after that.

Anyway you look at it all of those times are respectable for an everyday vehicle. I remember the 99-00 Civic Si ran a 15.7 quarter and I thought that was quick, or the old GSX Eclipse running a 14.9 and thinking that was zooming lol. Considering you see some 4 banger SUVs running 17 seconds a Pentastar has plenty of power!

I've also read of Hellcat Redeye times not really being any better than regular Hellcat times simply because they can't get the power to the ground.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Yeah, at the track I usually see 392s running 12.9-13.3, every now and then you see someone who knows how to drive get low 12s on street tires. That's just a general time frame.

It's true that the 0-60 times on street tires aren't too far off between the 392 and 6.2L, but it's above that 60mph where the 6.2L keeps pulling as the 392 dies out, which is funny because that's the difference between the 5.7 and 392. The 5.7 has that initial push back in your seat but then not much after that.

Anyway you look at it all of those times are respectable for an everyday vehicle. I remember the 99-00 Civic Si ran a 15.7 quarter and I thought that was quick, or the old GSX Eclipse running a 14.9 and thinking that was zooming lol. Considering you see some 4 banger SUVs running 17 seconds a Pentastar has plenty of power!

I've also read of Hellcat Redeye times not really being any better than regular Hellcat times simply because they can't get the power to the ground.
Yeah the real difference in the 392 and of course the Hellcat/Hellcat redeye is what happens when you punch it at 50-70 mph.... they just keep on pulling so much harder from a roll with all the power.

I remember taking my 96 Impala SS to the track and thinking those high 14 second passes were really flying back then for a sedan ;)

Reactions: Nuwanda

·
Registered
2021 WB Hellcat and 2013 RT Plus AWD
223 Posts
I remember taking my 96 Impala SS to the track and thinking those high 14 second passes were really flying back then for a sedan ;)
I can relate. I remember having a stock '88 5.0 LX Fox Body and thinking it was fast. NWA even said "you all know, you can't catch a 5.0". Not so much, lol. Pretty fast for that era, though..

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Yeah the real difference in the 392 and of course the Hellcat/Hellcat redeye is what happens when you punch it at 50-70 mph.... they just keep on pulling so much harder from a roll with all the power.

Back then, a 14 second sedan WAS really flying, considering other non-V8 sedans were 2 or more seconds slower to the mark. I remember in high school, this guy was talking about his 78 Camaro, 305 equipped, running 15 flat at the track. Considering the era that car was made, 15 seconds was pretty respectable back then (1990 this was).

·
Registered
259 Posts

Which who needs to have even more punch at 70 MPH? LOL unless you run a lot of interstate, I suppose. That was another reason why I got the SP WB vs the HC..this is risky enough as far as getting into trouble. I haven't driven a HC, but I would be afraid that I would want to stretch its legs to really enjoy it. Much of what I have heard/read is that the 392 and HC are nearly identical until you get up into the speed as you had mentioned. (50-70 MPH)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts