Charger Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I looked at bankrate before I posted and the average used car note 7/7/21 is 4.5%. Imagine if it went from 4.5% to 5.85%. I would blink, but you're probably correct that others probably wouldn't blink paying over $700 a month on a $30,000 note for 48 months after having already put 20% down on a $36,000 gently used scat.

Just can't wrap my mind around folks buying used cars right now.
Most of these people buying used and financing for 7 or 8 years aren't putting anything down let alone 20%.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Yikes!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Car prices aren’t going down any time soon, if ever, if it were to go down probably at least another 2 years. As long as interest rates stay low and there’s free money going out, $40-50k will be the average.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's a different mindset, for sure. To me, $700 is a mortgage payment.
Well when you're housing is paid for by the government $700 goes towards that car payment.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
2021 WB Hellcat and 2013 RT Plus AWD
223 Posts
I think you're right. I don't see production numbers vastly improving anytime soon, and if a definitive end date for the 5.7 or 392, or even the Charger and Challenger models as a whole in ICE forms is given, I think it will make it worse and people are going to get themselves hosed worse than they are already.

This is laughable...
67K for a Scat? But it's a $1,500 price drop, so it must be a deal!

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Charger Daytona
868 Posts
The best scenario right now is to buy a new car if you have a trade in. I got $20K for my '15 SXT which is insane considering the KBB value a year ago was about $13K. My new 5.7 Daytona was about $44K, I could sell it for almost as much as I paid for it with the insane used market.

It's a great time to get a new car if you have a trade.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The best scenario right now is to buy a new car if you have a trade in. I got $20K for my '15 SXT which is insane considering the KBB value a year ago was about $13K. My new 5.7 Daytona was about $44K, I could sell it for almost as much as I paid for it with the insane used market.

It's a great time to get a new car if you have a trade.
It's not a great time to buy a car in any condition, but new is the better route if you must. $44k for a 5.7 is nuts. You bought an 18 year old motor in a 7 year old car for $10k more than what you could have bought the same car with 115hp more a year ago. You made money on your trade and dumped it right into to an insanely inflated price on a new car. You do you, but $44k for a 5.7 Charger is nothing to brag about, even if you only financed mid-$30s. You could buy a low mileage, decently optioned SP last year for high $20s, low $30s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
i recently bought a 2021 charger sxt and I am already having buyers remorse about not getting more power. Took a trip to Atlanta and every charger I seemed to see on the street was an R/T or scat pack. Luckily, the dealership was nice and willing to accept my car back and also cover any negative equity since the purchase.

That being said, the cost for my car minus rebates and incentives was roughly 29k. I am looking at getting a charger r/t (has enough power for me and the price is reasonable), but the dealerships around my area (southeast US) All have the 2018-2020 RTs priced at around 43-48k. Most have in the neighborhood of 10-15k miles.

Should I wait to purchase one or just go ahead and pull the trigger. I have looked at other forums and seen that most scatpacks were in this range about this same time last year. I don’t to pay a scatpack price for an r/t if I can help it
I hope what I say to you helps and you aren't offended. I started out several years ago with a Challenger SXT+. I loved that car. Put a couple of less expensive mods on it and it was awesome. I then moved up to the Challenger R/T. Beauty and ran really good. Now I have the car I really wanted all along, a 2021 Charger Scat Pack. Do I love it? YES!!! But it took me a long time to get here. My point is, be happy with where you are right now. Enjoy what is a great automobile and work and wait until your true dream car is available. If you settle and overpay you are not going to be happy, believe me. I am 70+ years old and I feel I have the experience to share with you. I'm sure your Challenger is awesome...enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
There has been several "intelligent" people here who have said, "car prices from 2 years ago don't matter anymore" and "inflation happens", so those are the geniuses paying these prices on used cars.
There HAVE been*** Some of us also purchased new, which I said is the way to go during these times. I still managed to receive a great deal on my ordered car, and I'm not going to waste time justifying the figures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
i recently bought a 2021 charger sxt and I am already having buyers remorse about not getting more power. Took a trip to Atlanta and every charger I seemed to see on the street was an R/T or scat pack. Luckily, the dealership was nice and willing to accept my car back and also cover any negative equity since the purchase.

That being said, the cost for my car minus rebates and incentives was roughly 29k. I am looking at getting a charger r/t (has enough power for me and the price is reasonable), but the dealerships around my area (southeast US) All have the 2018-2020 RTs priced at around 43-48k. Most have in the neighborhood of 10-15k miles.

Should I wait to purchase one or just go ahead and pull the trigger. I have looked at other forums and seen that most scatpacks were in this range about this same time last year. I don’t to pay a scatpack price for an r/t if I can help it

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's not a great time to buy a car in any condition, but new is the better route if you must. $44k for a 5.7 is nuts. You bought an 18 year old motor in a 7 year old car for $10k more than what you could have bought the same car with 115hp more a year ago. You made money on your trade and dumped it right into to an insanely inflated price on a new car. You do you, but $44k for a 5.7 Charger is nothing to brag about, even if you only financed mid-$30s. You could buy a low mileage, decently optioned SP last year for high $20s, low $30s.
So much of the information on this forum so far from the truth; this is blatant garbage, for the most part. Apples and oranges are being compared here (new vs. used). That alone makes the argument irrelevant. I'm beginning to understand why this forum is as dead as it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Way too much for the 5.7. I bought my 2020 Scat pack new in May-June 2020 for about $44,700. Just traded in for a new Ram last month and they gave me $44k even and priced it for resale at $50k with a hair over 5000 miles and it has already sold…probably for 48 to 49k.

·
Registered
2014 R/T Phantom Black
442 Posts
To be short, was in similar situation years ago, when traded new '13 SXT to new '14 R/T
Money wise - absolutely not smart. Yes, I got what I want, relatively fair trade without inflated prices, but a lot of money just lost, caused increased financing.
You know.. it's to be happy with the car and be not happy with the payments.

Seeing the prices that have been posted - would advise to wait and not jump on it.
Brand new SXT is great machine, and will give you a lot for it's money.
Buyer's remorse not getting more power? Yes, be ready it will "drill" the brain constantly. But it the same with R/T - you will think "why not to add some $$ and get SP?"

Save money a side, wait for better pricing and for now enjoy great car that you own.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Way too much for the 5.7. I bought my 2020 Scat pack new in May-June 2020 for about $44,700. Just traded in for a new Ram last month and they gave me $44k even and priced it for resale at $50k with a hair over 5000 miles and it has already sold…probably for 48 to 49k.
The market towards to beginning of COVID was quite different than it is now, and even has ever been. What were the MSRP's of the cars in question? Are you both referring to the sale prices or the OTD pricing? There are many questions that come into play, before we assume what a good/bad deal is. For example, right now I could get a '21 Scat Pack for close to $40k, maybe less if I actually try. That is a narrow body, little to no options car... but it "is" is the price range people assume. Do you see the issue?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Lets be honest here, why is the SXT to enough power? We have both a SXT and a Scat Pack. I love driving my wife's SXT which is AWD and it's awesome. I never feel I don't have enough power when I drive it. It pulls away from lights with ease. It can keep up with any traffic, it can pass with ease and it's very fun to drive.

I'm a Scat Pack owner and I don't miss driving my Scat Pack when I'm driving my Wife's SXT AWD. Hell I get way more compliments in her car then I do mine. Her's is Plumb Crazy Purple and My Scat Pack is Pitch Black.

The R/T is very nice and has a very nice balance of power for street use. Probably a better balance then the Scat Pack.
But I would never ever over pay for one especially since you got a brand new SXT.

I think people get to wrapped up in having more and more power. If your not a drag racer, I don't see any need for more power on the street then a SXT. Sure the R/T and above are fun and the sound is awesome but they can lead you to trouble every time your behind the wheel.
Most cars on the road these days have way more power than is strictly necessary to travel- whether its the highway or surface roads. So why bother, then? For me, because I could and I like having that option of pulling away from the pack if I so choose. Its just money, you can't take it with you so why not spend it on something you actually want, as opposed to what your wife wants? ;)

I had an SXT, it was perfectly adequate for commuting, which was why I bought it. But the entire time I owned it, 10 years, I asked myself why didn't I wait and get a V8?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
So much of the information on this forum so far from the truth; this is blatant garbage, for the most part. Apples and oranges are being compared here (new vs. used). That alone makes the argument irrelevant. I'm beginning to understand why this forum is as dead as it is.
If that's what you need to keep telling yourself to justify paying over MSRP when the power dollars were available a year ago, so be it.

If you want me to compare, "apples to apples" you could buy a decently optioned Scat Pack for mid-upper $30s in late 2019. There were several people here who bought Daytona 392s for $36-$37k. Sure, you could factor in inflation for a small price increase, but not 25% in 18 months, that's crazy.

Keep being grumpy, but you won't find any financial analyst who thinks buying a car right now is a good idea. Yes, if you need a car you need a car, and also everyone can do with their money as they wish. But I can say it again, $44k for a new 5.7 in any form is not a deal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If that's what you need to keep telling yourself to justify paying over MSRP when the power dollars were available a year ago, so be it.

If you want me to compare, "apples to apples" you could buy a decently optioned Scat Pack for mid-upper $30s in late 2019. There were several people here who bought Daytona 392s for $36-$37k. Sure, you could factor in inflation for a small price increase, but not 25% in 18 months, that's crazy.

Keep being grumpy, but you won't find any financial analyst who thinks buying a car right now is a good idea. Yes, if you need a car you need a car, and also everyone can do with their money as they wish. But I can say it again, $44k for a new 5.7 in any form is not a deal.
I didn't pay close to MSRP, let alone over it. I believe the old pricing but I'm afraid those times have come and gone. In general, buying a car is a poor financial decision (period). Particularly cars like ours, there is so much waste and excess. Do any of us actually "need" a car like the Charger, especially those of us with larger motors?? No, we don't. :LOL:

Even with significant savings, I don't see how it is possible to get into the 30k's. Below is a rough example of what I would order for a narrow body SP. Even with being at 4% under invoice, that is at $46,787.52 before TTL. A whopping $5K cash from Dodge (again, if that is ever offered again) leaves you with $41.787.52. You're at a good $44.5K by the time you're all said and done. This isn't even a WB, a Daytona, nor a ~fully~ loaded SP...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I'd chime in, since I was in the exact same position as the OP. I had purchased a 2018 GT and felt a little down that despite the 300 HP, the general mindset is that if it's not a V8 it's not a Charger. Silly mindset in my opinion.

Just know that if you're trying to upgrade to a RT over the SXT, you're really only paying for the v8 engine sound and body. The speed isn't too big of an upgrade until you jump to a SP. in fact the 0-60 difference between a SXT and a R/T is only 1.5 seconds on average. At the end of the day, a charger is a charger. I ditched the R/T for the AWD since the weather in my area is ludicrous for a RWD.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Thought I'd chime in, since I was in the exact same position as the OP. I had purchased a 2018 GT and felt a little down that despite the 300 HP, the general mindset is that if it's not a V8 it's not a Charger. Silly mindset in my opinion.

Just know that if you're trying to upgrade to a RT over the SXT, you're really only paying for the v8 engine sound and body. The speed isn't too big of an upgrade until you jump to a SP. in fact the 0-60 difference between a SXT and a R/T is only 1.5 seconds on average. At the end of the day, a charger is a charger. I ditched the R/T for the AWD since the weather in my area is ludicrous for a RWD.

I hate when people feel like that, or moreso the people that hate on the V6 Chargers. There were dozens of very nice V6 Challengers and Chargers at the car show in Carlisle. Some parked right in the mix of Hellcat's. I appreciate more the time people put into whatever car they own and take to a show. They're all Chargers.

Reactions: Nuwanda and zaimer
21 - 40 of 68 Posts