Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i recently bought a 2021 charger sxt and I am already having buyers remorse about not getting more power. Took a trip to Atlanta and every charger I seemed to see on the street was an R/T or scat pack. Luckily, the dealership was nice and willing to accept my car back and also cover any negative equity since the purchase.

That being said, the cost for my car minus rebates and incentives was roughly 29k. I am looking at getting a charger r/t (has enough power for me and the price is reasonable), but the dealerships around my area (southeast US) All have the 2018-2020 RTs priced at around 43-48k. Most have in the neighborhood of 10-15k miles.

Should I wait to purchase one or just go ahead and pull the trigger. I have looked at other forums and seen that most scatpacks were in this range about this same time last year. I don’t to pay a scatpack price for an r/t if I can help it

·
Registered
142 Posts
Seems high, but the used prices are all kinds of nuts right now. I’m selling my 2020 scatpack widebody (which I got a good price on last year) because I am able to get back what I paid and apply it to a Redeye that I decided to order (which I got a very good price on).

Most people are seeming to find that to get what they want they have to order to get a good price. There are dealers that are still offering invoice or better on orders.

but If you order be prepared for a long wait, if I read it right the Brampton plant is shutdown next week for chip shortage and the two following weeks for summer break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems high, but the used prices are all kinds of nuts right now. I’m selling my 2020 scatpack widebody (which I got a good price on last year) because I am able to get back what I paid and apply it to a Redeye that I decided to order (which I got a very good price on).

Most people are seeming to find that to get what they want they have to order to get a good price. There are dealers that are still offering invoice or better on orders.

but If you order be prepared for a long wait, if I read it right the Brampton plant is shutdown next week for chip shortage and the two following weeks for summer break.
I really just wanted to get a used one to avoid the wait, but the even with the used ones being around the same exact price, it may just be worth it to go ahead and wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'd drive a beater for now and bide my time. There's no way on God's green earth that I'd pay anything like $43,000-48,000 for a used Charger, unless it was a Hellcat.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just wait. No way in hell I'd pay anything over $30k for a used 5.7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you’re set on an R/T and can physically get by without a car for a few months, that’d definitely be the way to go. 43-48k is highly optioned NEW Scat Pack money, so there’s no way anyone should ever spend that much for a used R/T. There’s a good chance the chip supply will come back around by the end of the year and the insane car price bubble will burst. In normal times 29-32k should be enough to get a clean low mile R/T.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I got my 2019 R/T with 11k miles in February, 2020 at $27,xxxx. It has 15k miles now because of pandemic and online offers are like $32k and higher.

I'd wait the prices really are insane. I watched prices for a year looking for my car... you could have gotten a Scat Pack with decent miles for $35-38k in mid 2019/early 2020 now things are nuts. Hard to find an R/T under $35k with good miles.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I’ll definitely wait til at least christmas time and see if I can find something lower with a Christmas special

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,186 Posts
Lets be honest here, why is the SXT to enough power? We have both a SXT and a Scat Pack. I love driving my wife's SXT which is AWD and it's awesome. I never feel I don't have enough power when I drive it. It pulls away from lights with ease. It can keep up with any traffic, it can pass with ease and it's very fun to drive.

I'm a Scat Pack owner and I don't miss driving my Scat Pack when I'm driving my Wife's SXT AWD. Hell I get way more compliments in her car then I do mine. Her's is Plumb Crazy Purple and My Scat Pack is Pitch Black.

The R/T is very nice and has a very nice balance of power for street use. Probably a better balance then the Scat Pack.
But I would never ever over pay for one especially since you got a brand new SXT.

I think people get to wrapped up in having more and more power. If your not a drag racer, I don't see any need for more power on the street then a SXT. Sure the R/T and above are fun and the sound is awesome but they can lead you to trouble every time your behind the wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We bought a 21 GT blacktop a couple of months ago and we've been happy with it. 300 hp with sport mode and performance pages is plenty of power on the road. I already own a 20 Ram with the 5.7, deleted muffler and that's got plenty of sound as well power. Anymore than that and the points on my license will accrue. Good luck finding an R/T, the market is crazy.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
In general terms, and not directed at anyone, why buy a used car knowing they have risen 20 to 30 percent this past year? And with these prices, most buyers are having to finance the used car purchase.
If it was used car interest rates jumped 20 to 30 percent would people still be tripping to buy used cars?

Reactions: kernel

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
In general terms, and not directed at anyone, why buy a used car knowing they have risen 20 to 30 percent this past year? And with these prices, most buyers are having to finance the used car purchase.
If it was used car interest rates jumped 20 to 30 percent would people still be tripping to buy used cars?
There has been several "intelligent" people here who have said, "car prices from 2 years ago don't matter anymore" and "inflation happens", so those are the geniuses paying these prices on used cars.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I’ll definitely wait til at least christmas time and see if I can find something lower with a Christmas special

Used is still going to be jacked up at the end of the year and new will be a 2022 with price increases for the same car.

Search more dealers. Use the high volume Louisiana dealer still discounting if your nearby. Otherwise check if your employer is part of the Dodge Affiliate to get Invoice less 1%.

Grab the 0% Interest while it's still available.

The closer Dodge gets to "emuscle"electrified toaster Hemi replacement the worse it's going to get.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

Used is still going to be jacked up at the end of the year and new will be a 2022 with price increases for the same car.

Search more dealers. Use the high volume Louisiana dealer still discounting if your nearby. Otherwise check if your employer is part of the Dodge Affiliate to get Invoice less 1%.

Grab the 0% Interest while it's still available.

The closer Dodge gets to "emuscle"electrified toaster Hemi replacement the worse it's going to get.
I think you're right. I don't see production numbers vastly improving anytime soon, and if a definitive end date for the 5.7 or 392, or even the Charger and Challenger models as a whole in ICE forms is given, I think it will make it worse and people are going to get themselves hosed worse than they are already.

This is laughable...

Attachments

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Of course they would. In my experience, very few buyers who finance "do the math" anyway...if they did, seven- and eight-year auto loans wouldn't exist.

I doubt an increase from 3 to 3.75% would make today's buyers blink.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
51 Posts
Drive your current Charger for at least a year (preferably 2) since you depreciated it already. Use this time now to stack bread and buy what you really want (you mentioned Scatpack so save for that). Pick up overtime at work, don't go on pricey vacations, shop in the sale isle at the grocery store, etc. When 2 years go by, the price of cars should be normalized by then, you got that fat down payment and credit built up, trade in the V6 and enjoy the low monthly payments for 36 months

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Of course they would. In my experience, very few buyers who finance "do the math" anyway...if they did, seven- and eight-year auto loans wouldn't exist.

I doubt an increase from 3 to 3.75% would make today's buyers blink.
I looked at bankrate before I posted and the average used car note 7/7/21 is 4.5%. Imagine if it went from 4.5% to 5.85%. I would blink, but you're probably correct that others probably wouldn't blink paying over $700 a month on a $30,000 note for 48 months after having already put 20% down on a $36,000 gently used scat.

Just can't wrap my mind around folks buying used cars right now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts