Charger Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not discounting the oils in hands. But I’m thinking this happened or was accelerated due to my driving the car 8-10 hours a day. Just sees a lot of use.

Punisher, let me know if you find that again. I don’t have FB, so I’m not sure if I could do anything with or not, but it would be worth a try to work something out.

Flyers, I agree. It’s not as slick as it looks. It’s just more smooth. But I still think you’re correct

·
Registered
625 Posts
People wash their vehicle and clean the interior but few think about cleaning the steering wheel. When you think about it, this is probably the area that gets the most dirty. To keep it clean, use a good leather cleaner or even a PH neutral all purpose cleaner and a soft bristle brush. You can use a shoe cleaning brush like they sell to use with saddle soap.

I've used plastic/vinyl ceramic coating on aniline leather and it works well. However, it does leave a slight gloss finish. If a light coat is applied it is not as noticeable.

I've also used one of those leather covers that you stich over the existing wheel. They take about 2 hours to put on as you need to take your time but when done right they actually look really good.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Moral of the story is, no matter how much you care for and baby the car, e.g. washing, washing, polishing, PPF, oil, gas, air cleaners, etc… don’t forget to treat your leather.
Even if the only leather you have in your car is the steering wheel and shifter.
Only treat the steering wheel when it needs it. What keeps leather from drying out is the same stuff that makes it soft. And stretchable. Then you're always gripping it and it can end up either wearing right thru or wrinking up like granny skin.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I have never cleaned my leather steering fine with anything other than original Armor All in 165k miles and it looks just like new. I used to use a leather cleaner on the one in my 5.7 all of the time, but that car had leather seats so I always had some handy. The Bee is cloth so I never got any more.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts