·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Better pictures, in the sun.
Speedometer Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Wheel Vehicle Light Motor vehicle

I couldn’t find what Midtown suggested, except on Amazon, so I got some Groit’s to start with.
Food Ingredient Fluid Drink Bottle

I will let you know if it helps.
I did notice when I got in the car today it didn’t feel as bad as last night. It was WAY less humid. I’m thinking that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That looks like it might come clean. I think a lot of skin oil has built up in the area, hence the shiny appearance. I've cleaned a lot of steering wheels at work, and some of them take a lot more effort than you'd think to clean completely. I'm not sure how aggressive that cleaner is, but you might need a product with a bit more emulsifying power to strip the oil. We use Meguiars D181 which is only a cleaner as we typically don't condition leather.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m going to soak it with the Groits overnight and see what happens. I’ll move onto other products mentioned of need.
Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
684 Posts
That looks like the color wearing off it. If it is you can get an aerosol can to redo it. People usually have good results but I've always been leary of how well it holds up long term on a surface that's touched so much.
Do you use hand sanitizer a lot when you get into your car? That can make surfaces like that wear faster.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Do you use hand sanitizer a lot when you get into your car? That can make surfaces like that wear faster.
Not so much anymore. I’ve never been a huge fan of that stuff, but when COVID really took hold I started using it every time. Especially considering what I do for work. But that was in my 15 and I wrote it off to that. But the truck prior and this car I can’t use that excuse.
If it comes down to painting it, I’ll probably just put a cover on it. cringe

I looked up new steering wheels 😯$$$. Maybe a junkyard. I really don’t know. I just know that I won’t be able to leave it that way. Hopefully the Groits soak will help. I soaked a microfiber cloth with it and wrapped it around that spot. Either that or I’m “waterlogging” it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Not so much anymore. I’ve never been a huge fan of that stuff, but when COVID really took hold I started using it every time. Especially considering what I do for work. But that was in my 15 and I wrote it off to that. But the truck prior and this car I can’t use that excuse.
If it comes down to painting it, I’ll probably just put a cover on it. cringe

I looked up new steering wheels $$$. Maybe a junkyard. I really don’t know. I just know that I won’t be able to leave it that way. Hopefully the Groits soak will help. I soaked a microfiber cloth with it and wrapped it around that spot. Either that or I’m “waterlogging” it.
There are companies thay redo the wraps at a much lower cost than buying a new wheel....if it comes down to that.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Once the surface color prematurely wears off all these treatments will do is soften and condition the leather. It will not repair the damaged area.

You can have it re-wraped but as long as you have acid hands or use excess amounts of germ lotions and don't let them dry it will do it again. Adding the treatment regime to the interior cleaning checklist to slow it down.

I would just buy a quality steering wheel cover.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Updated picture after a night of soaking in the Groit’s. Looks about the same but feels smoother. Guess I’ll look into a junk used or a wrap.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Here's mine for example. A 2013 with 163k miles. No where even close to that. Yours looks like my wife's Kia did. Completely wore through the shiny layer.

That's a much clearer picture there that you posted. Unfortunately I'd say it's shot. Either a wrap, cover, or replace are really your only options.

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, I’m looking at wraps now. 🫤

I’m sure the AZ sun hasn’t find it any favors either, on top of my driving habits. That’s the top of the wheel, where the sun hits it, even when it’s parked. No, I don’t have a sunscreen.

Oh well, thanks to all. I’ll fix it one way or another and let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does anyone have any knowledge of these people?
I'm tempted to try depending on whether I can get my local person to do something. I haven't seen anyone else's comments on this vendor but if I take the plunge I'll report back on this discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
For those that are interested, I finally starting to make progress.

i have been alternating soaking the steering with the Jay Leno’s leather cleaner one night and the Groits conditioner the next. Progressively using using the Groit’s more than the cleaner.
I spray the wheel and a microfiber cloth, then wrap the wheel and leave it over night. It’s obviously a very slow process, but I think It’s doing “something”. If nothing else, it FEELS better.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel Automotive lighting Steering part

Speedometer Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tachometer

Car Vehicle Wheel Speedometer Odometer

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Moral of the story is, no matter how much you care for and baby the car, e.g. washing, washing, polishing, PPF, oil, gas, air cleaners, etc… don’t forget to treat your leather.
Even if the only leather you have in your car is the steering wheel and shifter.

EDIT
ALSO, something else that I found out.
Periodically buckle your seatbelt (when you’re not in it) and clean the seatbelt. You know that we all have that “favorite” shirt. Well, as trivial as it sounds, I basically ruined mine. It’s just a basic plain Grunt Style shirt, but because I spend so much time in my car every day, in and out, the belt has left a permanent diagonal mark across the front. It’s faint, but it’s there. Trivial, but still.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
UPDATE:
I have been alternating between the Leno’s Leather cleaner and the Groit’s Cleaning and Conditioner.
One day I clean the hell out it and nightly I soak an car wash micro fiber with the Groits and wrap the steering wheel with it, leaving it over night.
It seems to be coming back to its original state.
Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Fluid Glass bottle

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Wheel Steering part

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
You need to wear driving gloves so you can keep acids off the wheel and give it a nice shining as you drive. :)
I’m beginning to agree with that.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
It looks better, but you can still tell it's shot. It looks like you're just masking the damage. I'd rather a roughed up leather wheel than a slick one due to the products.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts