Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have to zoom in to see it, but is the steering wheel leather past the point of repair?
I clean it, I leather treat it, nothing seems to help.
I’m guessing the oils from my hands just take their toll. My old Charger did the same thing.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,045 Posts
I do't know what you used to clean it but I can suggest trying one last time. Your pic is blurry so I can't really tell if the leather is damaged or just dirty.

So here is what you do.

Buy Adams polishes leather and interior cleaner
Buy Adam's Polishes Leather Brush
Get some micro fiber towels and cover up your instrument cluster.
Spray cleaner into the brush
Lighten message the brush all over the leather wrap of the wheel
Use a light damp Micro fiber towel to wipe off the bubbles and product completely
Repeat a few time, if it comes out like new your good, if it show actual damage well that's the best it's gonna get.

You can use a all purpose cleaner just make sure it's diluted properly so the cleaner doesn't damage the leather.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I wonder if you could find a quality leather dye that could fix that? Back in the day we could buy a leather wrap down at the auto parts store. I don't know if you could even find one of those anymore. Probably just as well. They looked awful, but felt good and kept your steering wheel protected. I don't know what else to say.... driving gloves maybe?
Something to look forward to with my car I guess. Mine is a 2017, but my steering wheel still looks pretty good, but it only has ~17K on the clock. I can'r tell how many miles on yours... too blurry... but there are more digits showing there than mine.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
My wife's Infiniti looked like that in 4 years. My Super Bees is definitely worn, but not like that.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will look into your suggestion, Mantis.
I clean it with a damp microfiber at once a week because of the amount of time that I spend driving already. I do use Maguire’s leather treatment, but honestly nowhere near as often as I should. But I’m pretty sure it’s not dirty. I’m too anal retentive for that.

Jerry, it’s 127k and some change. It’s blurry because I was trying to get my phone to focus on the steering wheel. You know the fancy phones, They blur the background.

SVRSRTCDN, haha, nope. Just a wedding ring, but it is on the hand that I drive with.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least I didn’t ask what those Dash lights were for. 😂

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can’t really fix that. You must have anxiety to where you unknowingly grasp the steering wheel too tight. I used to work with a guy who had bad anxiety and wore his steering wheel to the core.
There’s more truth to that than you know. I hadn’t thought of that being the reason. I won’t get into the specifics, but I think you could be onto something.
Because if you’ve ever read a post by me, I keep my car clean. It’s not built up grime, I do know that much.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,045 Posts
Can’t really fix that. You must have anxiety to where you unknowingly grasp the steering wheel too tight. I used to work with a guy who had bad anxiety and wore his steering wheel to the core.
Not to change the topic here but you hit a point that hits home for me. Since getting covid last December , 2021 I have had extremely bad anxiety. It's one of the worse feelings and things to experience in anyones life. It's so bad I can't even explain it and I could on another thread if anyone wants to talk about it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not to change the topic here but you hit a point that hits home for me. Since getting covid last December , 2021 I have had extremely bad anxiety. It's one of the worse feelings and things to experience in anyones life. It's so bad I can't even explain it and I could on another thread if anyone wants to talk about it.
I think everyone has some degree of anxiety and it’s not fun.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s not really changing as much as it’s just directing it to a valid point. I do have anxiety accompanied by a case of the PTSD’s. So it’s VERY possible that’s what’s going on. I mean this car, my last car and my last truck. All Dodge, but also all after my last deployment (#5) then retirement. Is it a Dodge thing or a me thing?

Not saying it for sympathy, just admitting that it’s a possible cause.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
There are support groups out there, use them.

We didn't have that during Nam. No yellow ribbons, no huggers in the airport, no10% discounts, no vanity plates, and most Purple Hearts were awarded posthumously. We had plenty of insults and spit on in additiion to the scars of anxiety.

Use the services and healing hands available today.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
  • Helpful
Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack Charger, Plus Group, Nav. And Travel Package. Traded from 2016 Camaro 2SS.
71 Posts
There are support groups out there, use them.

We didn't have that during Nam. No yellow ribbons, no huggers in the airport, no10% discounts, no vanity plates, and most Purple Hearts were awarded posthumously. We had plenty of insults and spit on in additiion to the scars of anxiety.

Use the services and healing hands available today.
I always thought it was a national disgrace that the richer kids who could, at least for a time, duck out of service by staying in college, would sit in judgment of the less well off kids who were sent into what I’m sure was basically hell on earth — if you didn’t simply get killed. As if they even had a choice. Those hippy brats deserved a good beating by the hard hats, so far as I’m concerned. I even understood this when I was a little kid at the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You may have to zoom in to see it, but is the steering wheel leather past the point of repair?
I clean it, I leather treat it, nothing seems to help.
I’m guessing the oils from my hands just take their toll. My old Charger did the same thing.
View attachment 307620
nextzett 92470515 Cockpit Premium Interior and Dashboard Cleaner, 16.9 fl oz, Black https://a.co/d/44HZ34c

I used this product to bring my wife’s BMW leather steering wheel back to life. She uses hand lotion daily and it created a mess of her wheel. After using it the steering wheel looked brand new. I was really amazed at how clean it came out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
nextzett 92470515 Cockpit Premium Interior and Dashboard Cleaner, 16.9 fl oz, Black https://a.co/d/44HZ34c

I used this product to bring my wife’s BMW leather steering wheel back to life. She uses hand lotion daily and it created a mess of her wheel. After using it the steering wheel looked brand new. I was really amazed at how clean it came out.
I'll have to give that a try on my Sorento. At 10 years old, there's a spot similar to what the original poster shows where I normally rest my hands. The rest of the wheel looks brand new.

Best,

Reactions: Motown Muscle

·
Registered
977 Posts
Some people just have toxic fluids in their body. Some guys destroy a brand new set of guitar strings after one sitting due to the acid in their hands and fingers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts