Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle coming from the right rear tire area. I traced it down to a loose parking brake actuator. The parking brake still operates fine, but the rattle is really irritating my wife. She doesn't respond well to the suggestion to turn up the radio to drown it out, so I need to figure out how to eliminate the rattle. Any ideas or anyone experience this before who found a solution?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have a rattle coming from the right rear tire area. I traced it down to a loose parking brake actuator. The parking brake still operates fine, but the rattle is really irritating my wife. She doesn't respond well to the suggestion to turn up the radio to drown it out, so I need to figure out how to eliminate the rattle. Any ideas or anyone experience this before who found a solution?
Have you tried to repair or replace the loose brake actuator?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I also have a rattling from the LEFT rear (driver's side). It is muffled and I can only hear it driving slow parking lot speeds. I will check also...Rescue, what did you do to check it? I do remember around the time I heard the rattling, I pushed in my parking brake, and it went slack. It holds, but not so good, now. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a rattling from the LEFT rear (driver's side). It is muffled and I can only hear it driving slow parking lot speeds. I will check also...Rescue, what did you do to check it? I do remember around the time I heard the rattling, I pushed in my parking brake, and it went slack. It holds, but not so good, now. Thanks for the post.
I pulled the tire, caliper and rotor. I then began striking on the swing arm and listening for the rattle. I then started touching different areas and listened for a deadened sound while I struck the same swing arm. I found the rattle that way.

I wonder if the problem for both of us is worn parking brake shoes.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Have you re-adjusted the parking brake tension per the manual?

When the brake pads wear over time they need to be adjusted for the proper clearance to the drum.

ADJUSTMENTS

PARKING BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTMENT

1. Place parking brake lever in “full released” position.

2. Raise and support vehicle.

3. Remove plug in parking brake shoe support to access adjuster star-wheel.
NOTE: Through the access hole, rotate the
adjuster star wheel in the following direction to
expand the shoes outward against the drum.

Left brake – Rotate star-wheel toward rear of
vehicle.

Right brake – Rotate star-wheel toward front of
vehicle.

4. Using an appropriate tool, turn adjuster star wheel until wheel will not rotate (dead lock).

5. Back off adjuster six detents (teeth).

6. Rotate wheel, checking for light drag. If drag is too heavy, continue to back off adjuster one detent at a time until light drag is present. Do not back off star-wheel more than 17 detents from wheel lock.

7. Install access plug.

8. Adjust opposite wheel parking brake shoes using same method.

9. Lower vehicle.

10. Apply and release parking brake lever once to ensure proper operation of parking brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts