Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oldest passed her drivers test today. Examiner said she did a great job. I almost messed up her parallel parking tho. It was the one thing I hadn't spent much time working on. So she parked the car several times and was getting it. I had set up a traditional sized space. She went inside for something, and I moved the trash can another 18" tighter. Had to verify there was enough space to get in and out of. She never did figure out why it became so difficult, because, while I was watching her, was no longer helping her. Too busy cleaning up the PC. Anyway, back to the point, during the test, they give the kids an extras SIX feet. So she's attempting to back the car into this HUGE space and it kinda messed her up a bit. Never hit a single cone, but in the real world, would have climbed a curb.

She did very very very good during the test. I was so proud of her performance. About the only comment the examiner made, was she was not checking her blind spot enough. But, I taught her to properly set her mirror, essentially eliminating blind spots.

Two things were helpful to her performance. I would not allow her to begin the training until she began to show the maturity I expected from a driver. Funny thing, she's taken her test before her 16th b'day, so starting early was not going to get her license any faster. The other thing we noticed, our bad habits were extremely apparent and quickly emulated.

She's driven PC once, and it scared the heck out of me, LOL. Have no qualms about her driving, but this is the PC!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Congrats! I remember when I took my test, it was...an experience to say the least!

When I got to the parallel parking portion of the test they had me drive to downtown Austin, and park in between two marked police cruisers, in front of the courthouse, right in front of a fire hydrant :knockout:

I couldn't believe what they were telling me at the time, but it worked! I didn't mess up :)

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
What state exactly do you live in? My daughter is such a twit that I wont let her drive any car she hasnt bought because she doesnt have enough respect for anything. lol. Maybe if she has to pay for it she might care. lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
i never learned parallel parking or had a test in ohio (that was like 9 years ago). may have changed since then. i'm still a little uneasy parallel parking with my charger cuz the car is so big, spaces look so much tighter. sometimes have to do it while im working at a nasa center.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The DMV here doesn't give a parallel parking test. If they did, 50% of the drivers here wouldn't have a drivers license.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I remember that part of my life that car was the embodyment of freedom:smoke:
I remember my father teaching me how to drive stick in a 91 f150 with a bad clutch :knockout: I told him this thing must be broken hed say thats not whats broken :lol: He admited years later that the clutch was real bad:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well goodluck to yours
and thanks for bringing that back to me

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hmm, wierd, I never had to do any driving test's when I got my license. All I remember doing is a taking a test on a computer.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I let her drive the PC once. It was more to send a message to her, that I trusted her driving...you know teenage girls and their self esteem issues. The only problem I had with her driving the car, it took me a week to get the seat adjusted again...where's memory seating????

Michigan has toughened up new drivers requirements, including keeping track of driving time. So many of her friends parents just invent thier drive time. Not only does that send the wrong message to the kid, but I noticed a huge improvement between 20 and 30 hours. I find that only a small percentage of people know how to parallel park. 50% is probably way too optimistic.

We paid a little bit of extra money for a different driving school. It was well worth the added investment. this company also doesn't bend the rules on how much "dual" time the kids receive. In addition, they are authorized by the state to perform drivers tests. For their instruction customers, the price is less then the state charges.

Can not emphasize enough how much of an impact and influence our driving behavior was passed on. Once SWMBO stopped zooming around corners, and I paid a little closer attention to rolling stops, no matter how slow, she stopped scaring the heck out of me going around corners and rolling through stop signs.

I have yet to parallel park the PC. While I happen to be very good at parallel parking, scuffing the wheels scares me. I've already put one small mark on the rf, and seriously don't know when I did it. My past experience with bigger cars, including my old 71 charger, it was always easier to park that car moving rearward {including parallel}, then forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts