Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Super Bee seats are awesome, we know that

But I wonder if something similar could be done to the standard SXT seats to give a similar look? I wondered about a light coat of spray paint or maybe one of those silver paint pens maybe? I'm just spitballing, curious what people know. I am obviously worried about it rubbing off on clothes and stuff too, certainly a big consideration. It'd be a rough way to ruin a $1k suit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm not sure how the material in the seats hold paint, but most cloths will just suck up the paint. You'd need some type of backing (cardboard etc.) behind the surface you wish to paint and that might be difficult with a car seat.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder about a screen print type application? I think that's how the Bee stripes were applied.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wonder about a screen print type application? I think that's how the Bee stripes were applied.

This is about the only thing I could imagine working. I would still advise that you look for quality seat covers instead, and maybe try decorating those how you like. My father got some nice seat covers for his Tacoma that are specific for those trucks, they look good and stay in place real well.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
32 Posts
You'll definitely want to be careful painting fabric. Masking it off won't prevent paint from absorbing past your desired line, resulting in a really soft line. Not pretty. Not sure about the screen print option, though I suspect the same result may occur.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Screen printing is just like printing on a t-shirt. It sits on the surface and doesn't bleed.

The seat covers will need to be removed to do it right and then re-installed after the print is dry.

Screen printing isn't designed to hold up to long-term wear. It will eventually rub off. You can either accept that and re-print when it's worn...or spend the $$ to have the seat covers machine embroidered with the design like the Super bee seats are. It will last as long as the seat covers do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Screen printing is just like printing on a t-shirt. It sits on the surface and doesn't bleed.

The seat covers will need to be removed to do it right and then re-installed after the print is dry.

Screen printing isn't designed to hold up to long-term wear. It will eventually rub off. You can either accept that and re-print when it's worn...or spend the $$ to have the seat covers machine embroidered with the design like the Super bee seats are. It will last as long as the seat covers do.

The embroidery would be the best looking option. I thought it would be more expensive than you would want to go for this.

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah alright, well it was a fun idea while it lasted. Thanks for the sanity check everyone, now back to your regularly scheduled lunacy.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
doesn't duplicolor make a fabric paint... not sure how it would work for striping though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did very limited research into that, when considering changing the beige interior of my Malibu to black. The stuff is meant more for fabrics that you might see in your headliner, not seats. Lots of complaints on it too, it just doesn't work as people expect it to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts