Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to paint my intake. I should use epoxy primer right? Also has anyone use VHT paint? I dont want to trap heat, trying to prevent less heat soak in my custom ways

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You can use regular paint. You don't race and you can't reflect enough heat with paint to see any difference in gains. Even if you use heat reflective paint or whatever. Intake manifold temperature also comes from being on top of the engine, not just engine ambient temperature. I used regular body filler primer. High heat red paint, and high heat clear, 3 years ago. Same paint was used on the half covers. And this was taken a month ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use regular paint. You don't race and you can't reflect enough heat with paint to see any difference in gains. Even if you use heat reflective paint or whatever. Intake manifold temperature also comes from being on top of the engine, not just engine ambient temperature. I used regular body filler primer. High heat red paint, and high heat clear, 3 years ago. Same paint was used on the half covers. And this was taken a month ago.

Ok thanks, i just didn't wanna make it worse by painting

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Is that a 6.1L aluminum intake? If so, you will trap a little more heat than leaving it unpainted but not enough to matter if you don't race.

The bigger issue comes from the differential expansion of the aluminum vs. the paint film that can sometimes cause it to peel or flake. If you used a good paint with sufficient flex and it was prepped properly, you won't have any issue.

Looks good! :bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts