Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive been lookin at my local auto store for paint to use on the engine cover and some of the other plastic pieces under the hood but cant figure out what to use. there arent any high-temp plastic paints. anybody know where i can get some or am i just not knowing what to get. Can i get the high temp engine enamel and use an adhesion promoter?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I used dupli-color high temp engine enamel paint. Thus far, it has held up well. Below are the steps I took when I painted my cover:
-
Step 1: remove the center from the engine cover
Step 2: sand down the center and the engine cover with one of the fine grained 3M sanding blocks
Step 3: wipe both down to remove any dust (I used armor-all cleaning wipes, not the protectant wipes)
Step 4: mask off the Dodge Ram emblem on the center if you want it to show later, if not skip this step
Step 5: spray several light coats of dupli-color high engine enamel paint on the parts in your chosen color
Step 6: remove the masking carefully before the paint fully dries
Step 7: allow the paint to dry fully (I allowed overnight)
Step 8: use pinstriping tape to outline the "HEMI" and stripe or other design you want
Step 9: use blue painter's tape to fill in any areas you do not want painted with your contrasting color
Step 10: spray several light coats of your next choice of dupli-color high engine enamel paint
Step 11: remove the masking carefully before the paint fully dries
Step 12: spray several light coats of clear dupli-color high engine enamel paint over the engine cover and center
Step 13: allow everything to dry (again I waited overnight)
Step 14: reassemble the cover and center and place back on your engine

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I need to do this :D I just need to figure out a color to go with. My car color isnt the best to always have especially inside the car, I just dont know if it would look good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts