Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I am planning on painting my calipers. You guys have any particular hi-temp paint you swear by? How long does the vehicle need to sit before it is dry enough to drive?? Someone told me 24 hrs - is this right - seems awful long:confused:

Thanks!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Guys

I am planning on painting my calipers. You guys have any particular hi-temp paint you swear by? How long does the vehicle need to sit before it is dry enough to drive?? Someone told me 24 hrs - is this right - seems awful long:confused:

Thanks!
I as well am interested in this!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wanted to but I stubled apon calipercovers.com and bought some from them they look good! IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used chevy orange hi temp. Engine paint. Its been about 1 year and still looks good. The paint dries in about 20 min. I just painted the outer part of the caliper, the part that you see through the wheel.

·
Registered
856 Posts
i am actually painting mine this weekend i have the g2 caliper paint i am going to let it sit at least 12 hours, i am painting them a shiny black color for my gomango.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine are done in VHT High-temp Header paint. I bought the header paint because it was a closer color match to my stripes. It took a couple of coats, but it looks great. Dried in just a couple of hours.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
My usual routine goes something like:

1. Remove calipers
2. Hose 'em down with brake cleaner and hit the really dirty spots with a nylon brush.
2. Hose 'em down again with brake cleaner.
3. Connect each caliper to my painting rig (an old brake hose clamped to an old coat rack so I've got 360 degree access).
3. If I'm feeling particularly energetic, I'll hit any visible burrs with a dremel tool and grinding stone.
4. Shoot a light coat of high heat engine paint in your favorite color. I like glossy black since it is a lot more forgiving about not showing brake dust. I pick whatever engine paint happens to be on sale at Autozone/Napa/etc. I think it was Krylon the last couple of times. Don't shoot so much paint in one coat that it runs.
5. Wait about 10 minutes.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 five or six times.
7. Wait 30-60 minutes.
8. Repeat steps 4/5/6 with high heat CLEAR engine paint.
9. Let it dry overnight.
10. Reinstall calipers.
11. Enjoy your extra 10 horsepower. :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
484 Posts
I used the Duplicolor Caliper Paint Kit - comes with everything you need. I got mine for $30 at Pepboys.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html
X2

The directions state to let sit overnight, but I think that's to prevent heat from bubbling the paint or damage from road debris. After a couple hours mine could be handled without any problems.

BTW, I got it for $15 at my local Checker (or Schuck's, Kragen, or O'Reilly's, depending on where you live).

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wanted to but I stubled apon calipercovers.com and bought some from them they look good! IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG
I got the caliper covers as well. I love them! I have not had any brake dust on my rims at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I removed mine, sanded them down clean, as I had 30K and were dirty. Painted entire caliper 6 x's, back and forth while one was drying. Able to handle in a couple hours, and drive the next day. They look cool. I have the silver/black Super Bee wheels, so I painted the black to match. Never had any chips or flaking in over a year. I used brush on hi-temp from checkers. Small can, but 6 coats on four calipers, and have plenty left. Resists dust/dirt build up. If they ever chip, I will be looking at the above caliper covers from MGP....
PS.....I painted them after the steel brake lines, rotors, silicone b. fluid and pads from R-1 concepts were installed....to avoid tool marks.....good luck.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I painted mine with the duplicolor liquid paint kit. Yes, it's recommened that you leave the car sitting 24 hours so that the paint has time to cure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts