Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having my engine cover painted this weekend and I will be placing Chrome letters over the embossed H E M I letters. Pictures will be posted next week. Has anyone else painted the engine cover on their Charger? Couldn't bring myself to paint it HEMI orange or order the Orange Hemi Cover; figured it would look too NECK, for the my charger.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd be interested to see what yours looks like when its done. I was going to paint mine until the first time I opened the hood while the motor was hot. Instead, I just took the appearance cover off, cleaned it up and put it in the basement. Ignoring its prettification factor, I can't for the life of me come up with a good reason to have that thing holding heat in the motor. :confused:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I saw a painted engine cover over at lxforums. It was great looking, but i have a couple of questions. What type of paint would you use on the cover? With those temps under the hood i would be concerned that the paint would melt or flake off. How much are you looking at spending for the paint job and do they do custom jobs?

I am very interested in doing this after i saw the painted engine cover last night.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'd like to see Kurby's cover but I'm with you Elcapitan on taking the cover off. Dodge could have done a little more dress up on the motor like the SRT8 and made the cover a option or available as an accessory like the available DRESS-UP cover. I think the heat that thing keeps in likely effects intake air temps. Everyone talks about cold air kits but I'd bet no one has ever done any real world (not static) tests on the influence of the engine cover.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife's Dad is a fab/body repair guy 35 years of experience and said he would be using a heat resistant paint color matched to the magnesium. He said the paint goes for about $50 to $75 a pint. About three coats of clear on top of that. I'm chroming the HEMI letters. As soon as he's done, the pics will be here. :clap: All in all, the job should cost about $200. But with that cost, it'll be guaranteed not fade,chip or peel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts