Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here goes another mod checked off the list of To-Dos. I figure the more practical and cheap things I get done this year, the closer I'll be to having to do something impractical and expensive next year, like a supercharger, right?

The stock water bottle has bothered me since Day #1. It's ugly enough in itself, but worse it's got and orange tinge to it due to the coolant and the plastic seems to get a yellow tinge to it. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Well, I had my body guy painting something for me, and I picked up a spare bottle from my dealership and had him paint it. (04596466AF BOTTLE, Coolant recovery... approx $50)

Install is pretty easy. There are two 10mm bolts towards the back that need to come out and that's it for fasteners.

The power steering reservoir has to come off. It has a little plastic tab that you just press out of the way then it slides up and out.

There are two hoses coming to the bottle. One near the top and one near the bottom. The top one is smaller and much easier to work with. I used a pair of vice-grips to open the pressure-clip so I could work the hose off, then just slid it onto the new bottle, which I had laying on the engine cover.

Next I used a turkey-baster to pull up and out as much coolant as I could. I put the fluid into a (clean) empty pickle jar. This took a while and there might be a better way, but ultimately I was able to get most of the coolant out without spilling a drop.

Next up, I lifted and rotate the bottle so I could get at the other hose, which you can see in this picture. I used one set of vice-grips to clamp off the hose so it couldn't leak on me, then used another one to undo the pressure-lock. I was able to rotate the bottle such that all the coolant still in it was nowhere near the hose I was working with, so again no problem with leaking. I pulled the hose off, and slid it onto the new bottle.

From there it was trivial to pour the remaining coolant out of the old bottle into the new, then empty the pickle jar into the new as well. End result is that the last bit under the hood that looked craptastic is gone.

The corner of the bottle was left masked off so I can see the fluid level. My bottle matches my body paint, pearl-coat and all, but it would be an easy DIY to just spray-paint a bottle black, or any other off-the-shelf colour. Anything would look better than stock.

·
Registered
555 Posts
lookin good...that has bothered me about my engine bay for a while too:)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Looks great, i painted mine flatblack awhile back and it made a huge difference

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Good job ... mine just arrived today ... getting painted soon, then it's time to install it :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Looks good, I've painted my air filter box, fuse box and fluid caps and dipstick a charcoal grey color. I'll get pics up tomorrow along with my stock set up and my original concept that didn't work out so well. LOL

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice job!! You're right... anything looks better than the stock tank there.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Looks great :rocker:

·
Registered
123 Posts
good idea, nice job

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Looking good!!