Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally posting pics of my brake job. I used Duplicolor spray engine enamel and it seems to have worked really well. Chrysler Orange for the base, and then clear over the base and decals. The decals are from Vinz Decals. I know you don't have to take the calipers off for this, but I did to make sure I got good coverage and no overspray onto other parts. One of the best mods I have done to date!

·
Registered
519 Posts
So I'm finally posting pics of my brake job. I used Duplicolor spray engine enamel and it seems to have worked really well. Chrysler Orange for the base, and then clear over the base and decals. The decals are from Vinz Decals. I know you don't have to take the calipers off for this, but I did to make sure I got good coverage and no overspray onto other parts. One of the best mods I have done to date!
That IS awesome!!!! I wonder if you'd hate me if I copied that on my Go ManGo. I remember as a kid I was beaten up for copying someone's bicycle mods. :nervous s

·
Registered
165 Posts
i was wondering if a gomango would look good with black calipers. but that looks great good job man.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Danni - Go ahead, that's what the forums are for. No worries about being beaten up here. :lol:

NavySEAL - I was thinking about doing black calipers as well, and then put orange decals on. I personally wanted more color to show through, but that would look good as well. I also want to get dark gunmetal/black rims at some point, so I thought black would just get lost.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
that looks great!! i didnt know there was an orange out there that matched the mango's so well. and i agree w/ what u said, black would look good but they wouldnt stand out like orange, or any other color. looks like u did a great job! how long did it take you? i painted mine last weekend and it took a whole day cause i had to kept getting distracted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took about a day for me as well. I was also working with just the spare jack. I didn't have anything else handy to prop up the car. I had done a really poor job of painting before, so some of that was prep time getting the old paint off and prepping the surface to be painted again.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea i hear ya. all i had was the spare jack too. it was kind of a pain waiting for the paint to dry a little so i could put the wheel back on, so i could use the jack on another wheel. my paint brushes kept drying out. but it was worth it, and i think urs looks really good. i ended up painting mine blue. i'll post pics when the decals come in

·
Registered
839 Posts
On the thin piece of the caliper where the brake pad is did you remove the brake pad to paint and was it as easy as removing the top piece?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the thin piece of the caliper where the brake pad is did you remove the brake pad to paint and was it as easy as removing the top piece?
I'm guessing you mean the part closest to the center of the wheel. This piece is directly connected to the hub with two bolts (18mm, I believe). Just by taking these two bolts out, you can slide the entire caliper off of the rotor (both pieces).

I removed the pads and the metal clips that hold them in place and taped off the sensitive areas, so I could paint freely around the caliper without worrying about getting stray paint on something I didn't want it on. I didn't seperate the pieces before painting. They were painted assembled.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
These are my calipers on my Sublime. I didn't do the bracket. Should have I think. Still like it. Nice job by the way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Sublime.

I've actually had a few friends say I should have done it this way. The high performance brakes like the SRT8 Brembo's don't have this lower arm and by not painting it, it gets lost in the wheel and the caliper looks like a high performance one. While I do like that look better, I wanted as much color to come through as possible, so both parts got painted.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Thanks, Sublime.

I've actually had a few friends say I should have done it this way. The high performance brakes like the SRT8 Brembo's don't have this lower arm and by not painting it, it gets lost in the wheel and the caliper looks like a high performance one. While I do like that look better, I wanted as much color to come through as possible, so both parts got painted.
You're setup looks great. I know at car shows/cruise nights people see the calipers right away and love it. Nice job.

·
Registered
928 Posts
ughhh add ANOTHER thing to my to do list.

looks awesome =)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats pretty damn cool. How many coats it take you on each? Also, did you tape the pads or remove them?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Lookin Good..

·
Registered
174 Posts
My car is my daily driver and since I am poor and can't afford gas and fancy rims, I'm planning to power coat my stock RT rims black. Since I don't really have a set of spare wheels either I was gonna get them done 2 at a time, so when I have the car up on jack stands for a couple of days while the wheels go out I'm planning to paint my calipers, only question is what color? Not many people moddin' midnight blues.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My car is my daily driver and since I am poor and can't afford gas and fancy rims, I'm planning to power coat my stock RT rims black. Since I don't really have a set of spare wheels either I was gonna get them done 2 at a time, so when I have the car up on jack stands for a couple of days while the wheels go out I'm planning to paint my calipers, only question is what color? Not many people moddin' midnight blues.
Paint them midnight blue w/ silver lettering or if your planning on graphix in the future use the same color.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts