Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have black charger r/t 06, and I remember alot of people discussing orange peel in their paint finish, but now I can't find the threads. Will the dealer have to fix this for you? It really gets on my nerves since I can't have a perfectly shiney car with a orange peel in it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
This isn't the good ol' days when a dollar was worth fifty cents. Your $38k car is barely over the cost of an average new car, but can run a 12-second 1/4 mile. You paid for 425 HP, not orange peel-free paint. If you want orange peel-free paint, pay $38,000 on a Mercedes C-class that will run a 15-second 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This isn't the good ol' days when a dollar was worth fifty cents. Your $38k car is barely over the cost of an average new car, but can run a 12-second 1/4 mile. You paid for 425 HP, not orange peel-free paint. If you want orange peel-free paint, pay $38,000 on a Mercedes C-class that will run a 15-second 1/4 mile.

Uhhh; you're not gonna get an orange peel free paint job on ANY Mercedes unless it's an SLR. This isn't the old days when they sprayed single stage and laquer paints and buffed them to a mirror like shine. The peel is there intentionally; and for your benefit, to aid in hiding minor imperfections in the body(dents, dings, warped panels, etc). The ONLY cars now-a-days without orange peel are hand built high end exotics. Most of those cars are completely covered in a small amount of "bondo" and blocked straight before painting and then the clear coat is sanded smooth and completely buffed out. You're not gonna get any of that for a cheapo $38k car from an American manufacturer.......................that's the sad truth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've seen plenty of zaino jobs on here and in their picutres its a mirror finish, not a fun house mirror. I've seen plenty of other black vehicles, I.e. My gmc envoy(22k brand new) and becides the paint chipping extremely bad from gravel roads, it didn't have an extreme orange peel finish to it. In fact I've never seen orange peel like mine on other cars. I thought orange peel was the signs of a bad paint job, like too much moisture or something.

A wetsand and buff can get rid of it right? And any repair shop should be able to do that right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and i paid 38k for a r/t after financing and extended warranty...im an idiot for not waiting and getting a SRT, but at the time i felt like the SRT was out of my range( if it was even released when i got my car, the dealer didnt have any on the lot), and at that time the msrp on the srt was like 45k. If i had a srt, the last thing i would be worried about is the paint.

·
Registered
171 Posts
orange peel is a way of life with Dodge... I cannot think of one vehicle they have that does not have it. And they will NOT do anything to get rid of it.

Funny you should mention this... I was just talking to someone about it at lunch today. Odds are if you ever get in a bender and get a repair the new job will not have peel. It will not look right against stock paint.

My F150 has it
My Fiero has it

My Harley is the only vehicle I have that does not have orange peel.

Wetsanding and polishing will get rid of it... but depending on how think you clear is you may just be removing all of your clear coat.

The peel is only bad when standing on top of the paint. From a distance it is fine. I would not worry about it personally. Just enjoy the gas pedal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts