Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I debadged and demolded my car this weekend. When I took the moldings off, I found a suprise... on all four doors there are tiny paint blisters underneith... It looks kind of like brail on the doors... I'm not sure what to do about them... I washed and waxed the car, and from more than 3 feet away, you can't really see them, but it still bums me out... I'm wondering if any of you have had the same problem.... Is there anything I can do to get them out... I was thinking about wet sanding them with some really high grit sandpaper, but I'm worried that the blisters are actually in the color coat, so I'd have to sand all the way through the clear to knock them down... I'm not sure what to do.

Also, my front fascia has some etching from bug guts on it.... I used some meguiers scratch removing polish on it, using a random orbital buffer, with no success.... I'm thinking wet sanding may be the only way to fix this as well.... problem is, I don't want to do more damage by trying to fix these things... I don't want to mess up my paint even more by trying to wet sand, which is something I haven't done before....

Do you guys think it'd be worth taking it to a body shop, or should I try and tackle it on my own? Maybe there's some other options I should try first?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm sure someone will come along to help, I would prob take it to a shop. I havent done mine yet but this is the second story I've heard where taking them off has shown an issue.
Feel for you, hope things get taken care of!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone have any experience wetsanding?... Is this something that I shouldn't tackle by myself? I'm thinking if it has to be wetsanded to remove the blemeshes, I might as well have the whole car done so I can get rid of all the factory orange peel and make the finish REALLY shine...

anyone else have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
i didnt have a blister but i did have a dull spot about the size of a thumb print
im the only one that really sees it but it does drive me nuts every time i wipe the car down.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Anyone have any experience wetsanding?... Is this something that I shouldn't tackle by myself? I'm thinking if it has to be wetsanded to remove the blemeshes, I might as well have the whole car done so I can get rid of all the factory orange peel and make the finish REALLY shine...

anyone else have thoughts on this?
If it were someplace inconspicuous, I'd say go ahead with 2000 grit wet sand, and try not to go too far into the clear, then polish and wax it... but as this is right on the flat side of the car, I'd be afraid it wouldn't match the rest of the body over a larger area than the blemishes themselves. I'd either put moldings back on (bummer) or get am estimate from a body shop.

Don't know how long you've had the car, but you may have a case to have it covered by warranty. Sounds like it might be a bad paint job to begin with, but no guarantee you'll get anywhere with that.

Either way, sucks dude. Sorry to hear it.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
a couple tips.
1) If you DO take it to the dealer, do NOT mention you removed the molding. They will say that since you removed a part that Dodge put on, you are responsible for what you get.
2) I would NOT recommend wet sanding in this area unless you are a PRO, as you could do some bad bad things that you will hate yourself for.
3) Have you tried a good clarbar to see if you can get some of this out?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
a couple tips.
1) If you DO take it to the dealer, do NOT mention you removed the molding. They will say that since you removed a part that Dodge put on, you are responsible for what you get.
2) I would NOT recommend wet sanding in this area unless you are a PRO, as you could do some bad bad things that you will hate yourself for.
3) Have you tried a good clarbar to see if you can get some of this out?
He's right!

They also have a new product out from MR. Clean. Its a gel for bug and tar removal. It works wonders.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm at 37,000 miles, so I'm out of warranty... no luck there.

I actually already tried a claybar on this. I was trying it on the bug guts, and then tried to get the blisters off with it..... the claybar got all the adhesive left from the molding off, but it didn't do anything to the blisters. Same with the polishing compound... NO DICE!

I'm thinking I'll have to have a professional do this... If I end up making it worse by trying it on my own, I'll have to kill myself with a fork. I have a few light scratches here and there, so I'll just bring it in somewhere to get all the little things taken care of. As far as the etching on the front fascia from the bug guts, I think I'm gonna look into getting an SRT front fascia for it, so I guess it doesn't bother me anymore since I'll be getting rid of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts