Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey -

Background: 2006 RT with 5.7 Hemi. 109k miles on it

Had a P2767 code pop on my Charger which had also been exhibiting off and on issues with shifting.. Mainly it would just get stuck in a gear... once it was first, mostly second. When it was in this mode, I coudln't put it into reverse either... Though going into park and then into a gear seemed to give me some control back.

I did a search here for all the talk about P2767 and felt fairly confident that $1000 later, the dealer would return a working car...

They're telling me that the oil had gotten up into the electrical connections, and that the wiring would have to be replaced. The did confirm that the input speed sensor failed, but it sounds like it failed to the point where oil went through it... rather than just electrically failed.

So now I'm being quoted $3800 for electrical replacement and the new sensor (parts and labor) or $4200 for a new transmission...

Does this make sense to you guys? Couldn't the connectors be cleaned? Or is there more electrical components in there that once the oil gets into it, it's kinda a done deal you have to replace it?

Addendum: Talked with the dealer and they said they did clean the connector, but with the stranded wire of the harness, the oil has (or will continue) to wick up between the wires, causing shorts... Based on my EE experience, I can see that... but A) does that really happen? or B) $3800 to replace the harness and sensor?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Rich:
I too doubt the accuracy of this diagnosis. Have they pulled the trans pan, and found evidence of internal damage such as a large amount of metal shavings or chunks? I think I would be tempted to have the sensor replaced, and see what happens. Either way, that kind of money is too much for a car known for dropping valve seats unless this issue has previously been addressed. These days, dealers are not always to be trusted when they come off with such expensive and broad quotes right off the bat.

Don

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich:
I too doubt the accuracy of this diagnosis. Have they pulled the trans pan, and found evidence is internal damage such as a large amount of metal shavings or chunks? I think I would be tempted to have the sensor replaced, and see what happens. Either way, that kind of money is too much for a car known for dropping valve seats unless this issue has previously been addressed. These days, dealers are not always to be trusted when they come off with such expensive and broad quotes right off the bat.

Don
Don -

They mentioned they found some metal in the oil when they pulled the pan, and that was their explanation (I think) for why the oil in the electrical connector would be a problem. However, I need to still verify what they thought was causing the issue... the bad sensor, or the oil in the connector causing shorts.. They did say the sensor had allowed oil seepage into the electrical connector, so that would tell me there was something big happening there... I guess that'd be the first thing I'd replace...

Thanks for the input!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts