Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car threw these codes Christmas Eve. According to my reading these usually indicate an exhaust leak or bad O2 sensor. The car is still pretty new so I doubt the sensor is bad. I'm thinking I may have a leak where the mids bolt to the manifold. It's not the easiest place to check for a leak. But my main question is could my O2 extenders be causing these too lean and slow sensor response codes? There really isn't a lot of information out there. Any help would be great, thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on boys, throw some facts my way! I'm thinking I'll tighten the bolts and get some high temperature silicone to seal it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
(CATLESS MIDS)-----you took the cats off,right? Sounds to me and I'm no expert,but in my mind the 02 sensors are designed to read a specific temp and gas mixture and with out the cats the exhaust temp & gases are off when going through them thus causing the codes to come up......oh and what are 02 extenders? Like I said,not an expert.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Or you could go see Danny at Counts Kustoms,after all you are in Vegas,maybe you can get on the show....how cool would that be?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
(CATLESS MIDS)-----you took the cats off,right? Sounds to me and I'm no expert,but in my mind the 02 sensors are designed to read a specific temp and gas mixture and with out the cats the exhaust temp & gases are off when going through them thus causing the codes to come up......oh and what are 02 extenders? Like I said,not an expert.
I thought that at first but these codes aren't the common codes that pop up from catless mids. Usually you'll get a code that says improper functioning cat or something similar. Also it says too lean..meaning there isn't really any gasses passing through toward the back end of the pipes where the sensors are.

Extenders are these non-fowlers that screw into the bung where the 02 sensors normally go and then the 02 sensors screw into them. It keeps the sensors further away from the gasses passing through the pipe so they cannot sense the unburned stuff that cats normally take care of. Seen in this picture...
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1388279290.849722.jpg
They're the silver things.

The common codes with catless pipes are P0420 and P0430.

Haha I've toured Kount's garage and I actually went to high school with and am close friend's with his niece. My brother went to high school with and is close friends with his nephew (the niece's brother). Las Vegas is actually a pretty small town, I discover connections between people I know all the time.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At a loss. Jacked the car up today...all the connections were tight and sealed, no leaks. The 02 sensors were in good shape. Decided to switch the sensors around to see if the codes changed. The codes came up quickly and they stayed the same. So I've ruled out 02 sensors and leaks...this basically leaves me with the conclusion of either my tune has the car running too lean or the 02 extenders are not working as desired. There is no steel wool in them, could that make a difference?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catless mids as I mentioned in your other thread....ignore or have Johan turn off the downstream sensors..
Yeah I saw. My question is my 02 extenders must not be working. Would stuffing steel wool in them help? If not I'll buy some simulator harnesses that'll take care of the problem. Found them online for 70 bucks a pop.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
You need a tune to add more fuel the longtubes are scavenging the cylinders more than the factory manifolds and the engine needs more fuel as it is breathing much deeper

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need a tune to add more fuel the longtubes are scavenging the cylinders more than the factory manifolds and the engine needs more fuel as it is breathing much deeper
I'm still running the stock headers...no long tubes.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Sorry that's bad advice then.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts