Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum and I have a few questions. I have an 06 Dodge Charger RT police package with about 130k miles on the ODO. Ive been having a misfire issues and was wondering if you guys have the knowledge and advice to maybe help me isolate the issue. I've ran the code and P0308 pops up every time I erase it and it keeps popping up. I've changed all plugs and coilpack on cyl 8 and is still misfiring. It has an extremely rough idle and low thud coming from the right side exhaust. Any ideas or information on this matter?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Hey guys new to the forum and I have a few questions. I have an 06 Dodge Charger RT police package with about 130k miles on the ODO. Ive been having a misfire issues and was wondering if you guys have the knowledge and advice to maybe help me isolate the issue. I've ran the code and P0308 pops up every time I erase it and it keeps popping up. I've changed all plugs and coilpack on cyl 8 and is still misfiring. It has an extremely rough idle and low thud coming from the right side exhaust. Any ideas or information on this matter?
First thing I would do is pull the plugs on that cylinder and inspect them. If one looks unusual, replace it and see if the code comes back. If both look fine, proceed to the next below...

The next thing I would do is replace both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and see if that fixes it.

If it doesn't, then I would be suspicious of a valve seat coming loose and would pull the head and inspect.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Per the Service Manual, the P0308 has the following possible causes. Hope this gives you some guidance.

FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
IGNITION COIL, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
Engine Coolant Temperature SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
MAP SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Further diagnostics recommended:
2.DIAGNOSTIC INSPECTION

NOTE: Anything that affects the speed of the crankshaft can cause this DTC to set. When a misfire is detected, the PCM will shut down the injector control circuit for the misfiring cylinder. Misfire may occur and may not be caused by component failure. Any of the following conditions can cause a misfire.

Inspect the engine for any of the following conditions:

•Worn serpentine belt
•Misalignment or binding water pump, P/S pump or A/C compressor pulleys
•Improper CKP, CMP, or MAP Sensor mounting.
•Poor connector/terminal to component connection for CKP sensor, CMP sensor, MAP sensor, throttle body, fuel injector, ignition coil, etc.
•Corroded PCM power or ground circuits.
•Vacuum leaks.
•Restriction in the air induction or exhaust system.
•Internal engine component malfunction.
•Moisture on ignition system components
•Insufficient fuel
•Low quality fuel
•Manual transmission bog
•Towing overload

·
184 Posts
Had same thing, but P0306 on an 09

I had the same thing a couple of months back, but on cylinder #6 . Checked the plugs, swapped coils with #1 cylinder, and scratched my head. Took it to the dealer. They initially diagnosed a wiped cam, pulled the head, found out it was in fact a broken valve spring. Didn't see it at first, as the spring is inside of a sleeve and in fact still partially functioned.
Had they figured out it was a valve from the get go instead of assuming it was a cam, it would have saved a day or so and a few hundred bucks. Ah well.
Three days and $1,500 to figure it out. Fixed.
Drove it across country, no problems, except my fuel mileage seems to have dropped by 3 to 4 mpg on the highway. Subsequent visits to another dealer have not resulted in any idea of why this has occurred.
But I digress.
The symptoms seem very much like yours, and in my case it was a broken valve spring.
You may want to check it out.
Cheers.:driving:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts