Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been researching this issue for a few weeks now and i am running out of ideas, hope some of you can help. Warning, this may get lengthy with irrelevant information, i am just trying to paint a full picture.

Car: 2011 Charger R/T, stock with corsa Catback with res delete. Stock tune. 95k miles

Issue: P0300 within 30s after startup, once every few days.

As the title says, i got my motor rebuild (by an independent shop) due to a failing lifter that ate through my cam. Went with a stock cam, but with MOPAR Heavy Duty GEN 3 MDS or MDS Delete lifters. In the process replaced the waterpump

Now, something weird is happening. It started happening almost immediately after the rebuild. Once in a while, once every 10-20 starts, no matter if its a hotstart or cold, it pops a P0300 code. (Random misfire)

Things done so far: replaced coilpacks, replaced waterpump (part of the rebuild). Ran through a few tanks of gas. 500 miles since rebuild,

I am working with my mechanic but both of us are lost. Next step is to test injectors or try to investigate the fuel system, but this issue did not appear until after the rebuild. Dealer was no help in the beginning of the issue, they wanted to replace the whole block (living on an island the invoice would have been 12k+)

Do any of you guys have any idea what it could be / what we could prosecute? Anything that my mechanic could have done in the rebuild process to facilitate this? Anything that i can do to rule out any issues?

I have read about ACES IV for a cleaner (Local stores dont carry it, any alternatives? Seafoam perhaps? It seems a bit excessive tho.)

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
I would check YouTube for P0300 code issues and how to fix. There are several with different tips on tracing it. Could be as simple as a vacuum leak or could be fuel issue like the pump. Lot of things that can cause it. You have to build a checklist of possible issues and work your way down. Not having any other codes along with the 0300 should help a bit.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Do any of you guys have any idea what it could be
My 2009 seems to throw the code in higher humidity conditions. I've put 48k on it since I bought it and after the dealership wanted to replace the motor even though they never even popped the hood on it.
Dry winter air lets me go for days without a code popping up, but if it rains the code pops up.
Injector replaced, coils swapped, compression tests, and so on and no change. I think it is the wiring harness but I'm not dropping $1000 on a new one.
I warm it up after driving about 15 minutes and clear the code and it's generally good for the rest of the day.
It's funny to drive it 600 miles on a trip and then it throws the code the next day after sitting in the damp air just to clear it again and drive it all day without a code.
Oh well. I didn't help you a bit.
Good luck with your search.

Griz

·
Registered
555 Posts
You put a MDS cam in with non MDS lifters. There is your problem. The MDS cam is different with the lobes on the MDS cylinder having different ramp profiles for the check valving in the MDS lifters and exhaust lobes having offset degrees (wanna say advanced 4 degrees not sure).

Basically, you can either try and bump your idle up like alot of people have, (I read 800rpm but it didn't work for me and I hated the funky exhaust tone) or do the job right and put a Non MDS cam in from a manual equipped challenger like I did. Fixed it right away. You can not properly tune mismatched parts.

Also, you need to disable MDS via a tuner or your asking for trouble when it goes to enable it while driving. Don't know what could happen but it won't be nice I would guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts