Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've replaced the cam and crank sensors. The only mod I can Think of is the aftermarket crank pulley. It must not be balanced perfectly. The car runs fine other than not going automatically into 5th or going over 3000rpm. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I mean that the chain is flopping around inside the front cover. Tensioner is broken

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Causes may include:

•Timing chain stretched, broken, or skipped a tooth due to wear
•Misalignment of timing chain
•Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
•Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
•Bad crank sensor
•Bad cam sensor
•Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
•Timing chain tensioner damaged

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
He's got an underdrive pulley......trust me.....the tensioner is broken

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
No, pull the damper, pull the water pump,alternator,a/c compressor,intake manifold and then front cover. Replace the timing chain,gears and tensioner assembly.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
He's got an underdrive pulley......trust me.....the tensioner is broken

I completely agree, I was just posting the info for overall education...:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dealership want probably $1700. I was quoted over the phone that rough price. Have to wait until 1000hrs for HHP to open. Great way to start the new year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just posted this on the Problems forum, but I had the same symptoms as you did on my 2010 Charger with a hemi (Police spec model). It only has 25k miles (Never been in police service). Got the same P0016 code on my car last week. Car would not accelerate past 3000 rpms, acted like it was in limp mode or something. Very disappointed to say the least.

Took it in to the dealer....they said it was the VCT (Variable Cam Timing) soleniod that went bad. Replaced it and that seemed to take care of the issue. Luckily, the dealer said it would be covered under warranty...if not, I think I would have been looking at a $4 to 5 hundred dollar repair bill. Had to take the intake off to get to that solenioid.

Don't know if the SRTs have the VCT solenoid, but this may be another thing to check.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The 6.1L in the SRT doesn't have VCT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's going to a pro shop tomorrow if the snow isn't bad. Then I'll let you all know what the problem was. Hope it's not the timing chain and tensioner. Too much money to start the new year. That's a nasty bullet to bite. Until then do a burnout for me and thanks for all of the replies!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts