Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I’m really new to the dodge world so I’m still learning but yesterday waiting at the drive-thru I noticed that my engine was overheating and immediately parked and shut the car off. I checked for leaks and saw none so I attempted to drive home and surprisingly the car remained cool while in motion so the issue is during idle. Also worth mentioning that performance did not take any hit the motor still sounds how it should when I bought it. Under further inspection I realized the radiator fan is moving slow and making a clunking sound. My question is could this be tied to the fan ? I want to replace it but if it’s not the issue I’d rather not waste money on it.

(I have a video of it if needed)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did any lights come on or did you just see the needle cross the halfway?

Post the video on youtube and the link here it will likely help.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
On your gauge, with a stock tstat, you should ride halfway up the gauge to just above half before the fans kick in (some even go 3/4 before the fans hit).

If you're worried, you can scroll through the EVIC an check the coolant temp. Do not be shocked when you see 227F, but it shouldn't stay there for long. Your tstat doesn't even open until 203-205F and the fans won't hit high until like 218-220F.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It definitely went beyond the middle point almost hitting the top. That’s why I immediately turned the car off. Here’s the video of the sound from the fan. I also got the too hot warning on the lcd. I hit around 240-250 and climbing if I leave it and the fan remains at that speed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Woof.

Def a fan but that noise..... Not sure if that is just the fan. Regardless need to check relays and such and if your going to replace it, go ahead and get fans out of a Pursuit so you can have the dual fan setup.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would take the belt tension off the water pump and see if you can wobble the pulley.
I just replaced two fan motors and when they go bad they bind or lock up. But they do have shaft bushings, so a squeal is possible.
But really to me, the 1st thing I thought hearing the noise is the water pump. Its easy to check.

Reactions: POWERMAN and N8ECH

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
What year Charger is this, and how many miles?

Don

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That sounds like the bearings in the water pump. Sounds like marbles rolling around your motor. Also louder than what I experienced, but same sound. Check for coolant leaks around the pump and pulleys. Also check for wobble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts