Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home and turned the A/C on and noticed the temp gauge rising quickly, I shut the A/C off and the gauge went back to halfway but the digital gauge still said 233. Right before I got home I turned the A/C back on to see if it did it again and this time the gauge started rising and never stopped. It pegged and I got the overheating warning light and I coasted home for the last couple hundred yards. Any suggestions on what it is? The t-stat stop working maybe? HELP!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
man that sux dude, is this a first??

·
Registered
183 Posts
my SRT overheated in traffic, just shot into the red. My cooling fans literally melted. IDK how or why....just cost me alot of money :( Well, actually the fans became unbalanced and ate apart the motor.

If it happens with your A/C on, then maybe your high speed fan isnt working? tomorrow let it idle and listen for the fans.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
over heating!

I was on my way home and turned the A/C on and noticed the temp gauge rising quickly, I shut the A/C off and the gauge went back to halfway but the digital gauge still said 233. Right before I got home I turned the A/C back on to see if it did it again and this time the gauge started rising and never stopped. It pegged and I got the overheating warning light and I coasted home for the last couple hundred yards. Any suggestions on what it is? The t-stat stop working maybe? HELP!
Yeah check your high speed fans, thermostat and hoses....Especially the fans. Ther has been a few incidents of them coming undone, including a co-worker of mine, replaced it and no more problems....good luck brother.....Sent you a suspension type PM.....Andy

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
Double check the thermostat and make sure it is functioning properly. (take it out and put it in a pan of water on the stove and use a laser spot thermometer to determine if and when it opens).

Check the fans in the front. Remember that the fans will run constantly when your A/C is on. If they are not functioning properly, you will not cool down effectively.

Check the radiator cap to make sure it is holding the proper pressure. May want to replace it as it is cheap insurance.

Make sure that the hoses are not collapsing under speed and restricting flow. I have had this happen on several big block engines. Hoses seem fine until you get on the road and then the suction pulls then together.

Give me a call, and we can send you some QuantumBlue HP Gold coolant as it will evacuate heat 4 times faster than the OEM Sodium laced coolant/antifreeze.

Give these a shot and see if any or combination is causing your problems.

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the replies! I don't think its the A/C because I drove it again last night to see if it was the A/C and it did it again w/out the A/C ever on. This time I got back to my garage and the reservoir tank was boiling over. So either the t-stat is stuck closed or maybe the fans aren't all working. A couple of days ago I did hear some weird clanking noises coming from the fans. It's at the dealers so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
A couple of days ago I did hear some weird clanking noises coming from the fans.
That is what I heard pulling in the garage when mine pooped out. Is it still under warranty? I hope the motor isn't damaged from the high temps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanx for the replies! I don't think its the A/C because I drove it again last night to see if it was the A/C and it did it again w/out the A/C ever on. This time I got back to my garage and the reservoir tank was boiling over. So either the t-stat is stuck closed or maybe the fans aren't all working. A couple of days ago I did hear some weird clanking noises coming from the fans. It's at the dealers so we'll see.
Did you ever find out what the issue was ? My 06 SRT8 is having this exact problem!!!!!! started BOILING out of the resevoir air duct
then my thermostat stopped working got a lightning bolt with parenthesis and my engine light came on. Turned it on this morning and all seems well. radiator has fluid, and there's coolant in there...engine didn't even get hot or to 200...trying to figure out what the heck is going on!?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts