Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at the 0 - 60 times thread, I've noticed alot of mid to high 4 sec times with the cooler temps. I live in the North Dallas area and we are still having temps into the low to mid 90's. My 07 SRT8 has 1400 miles on it and I've added the JET Stage 1 and the AirAid CAI with scoop. The best I've been able to do was 5.30. It was 80 degrees with an engine temp of 210 and a little over 1/2 tank of gas. I've tried launching with all combinations...with ESP on, Partial, OFF, autostick, and regular drive.
My question is at around what temperature can I begin to notice a decrease in my times? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hot here in So Cal also. just turned 500 miles and turned a 5.32 this morning
still not pushing car. no power brake and about 3/4 throttle to launch then stood on it rest of way. I think these temps are hurting performance. it has been over 110 degrees here for the last 7 days. think your 22's slow you down any??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jim,

I thought about that as well but I don't think they would slow me down as much as almost 3/4 of a second. I could be very much wrong though. I guess I should have done a few 0 - 60 times BEFORE putting on the 22's so I could have something to measure against. I only had the OEM tires and rims on for a little over a day though. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
When trying to do the best 0-60 time, are you braking until 1500 RPM then launching or are you just mashing the pedal from stop? As for the best time, I'd say early in the morning or late at night when its the coolest.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have found that 70 degrees and below...and while the engine is still cool (in the 180-185 range) is best. Less than 70..even better.

The launch that works best for me is, ESC fully off, no rpm, hit the accelerator about 1/3 so you get a chirp but no spin, and continue that "mashing of the pedal" to the floor, in one continual motion...kind of like a small punch then roll. I have hit some really good launches this way..usually 4.7-4.9...and this beauty the other day (59 degrees though).

·
Registered
351 Posts
The 22s will definitely slow you down. Could they be responsible for 3/4 of a second loss? Possibly, especially if they are cheaper, heavier aftermarket wheels. I have a bud that took his 300 SRT8 to the track and lost 4 tenths due to his wheels alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SupremeG,
I've done both. I've power braked to 1500 but I tended to get to much
wheelspin and would have to back up off her. The best time was when
I had ESP on and just mashed it. No wheel spin.

SRT8/BMW,
I'll try launching that way. I've not done that. Where you using autostick or in regular drive?

OurZoo,
Thanks for the info. Even with the 22's I was hoping for the high 4's. I'd be overjoyed if I could do that. I'll wait to the temps come down and work on my launch. I'm going to try the one SRT8/BMW suggested.

Many thanks to all 3 or you for your feedback. I'll be sure to post when I'm able to get a new best time!

·
Registered
824 Posts
The cold weather makes all the difference. Period!

My Sublime Daytona (stock) did 0 to 60 in 5.34. The temp outside was about 30 degrees. Since it has warmed up to 90/s, My times have been 6.2's 6.3's. And my car is now broken in.

TRUST ME on this, when it gets cold out you will be hitting mid to low 4's.

I Promise!
The heat really kills these cars!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I agree about the cooler weather. My best runs (4.44 and 4.40) were on my way home at 3:30 am (about 45* F) after 12.5 hours at work. The coolant probably was only heated to about 150-170* I leave it in first gear and let it shift on its own. I use ESP partially off (although I've gotten good times with it on too). Key is not to let the tires start spinning.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
+1 on the cooler air and engine temps. When I did my first run it was in the high 80s maybe low 90s and I ran a 5.25. Then the other night I did a run in the low 70s high 60s and it was much trickier to launch without much spin. My current best is 4.98. All other runs were worse due to excessive wheel spin. One was really bad at 9.90! I didn't have enough brake pressure or the revs built up to fast cuz she started doing a burnout and I said F it and kept it pinned through 1st and 2nd it was fun but worthless.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anyone know how much altitude will affect my times. I've only tried the 0-60 once,only 150 miles on her. I got a 6.7s, but the temp. outside was 99 F., and I'm at 6,000' altitude.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
altitude will effect HP alot like temps will. I always hear stories of how people lose alot of power in the mountains... but how much they lose is another story.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts