Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into another SRT owner that was going on about our cars and how they are on a mercedes chassy and how everything under the hood is Mercedes designed. Any truth to that? Wouldn't be a bad thing just wondering what he meant.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
ive heard some things about our cars being built on a mercedez chassy but who am i to say that, anybody else?? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
basically, we're mercedes old discarded useless trash.

In all seriousness, I believe the lx has the OLD e-class parts... and being mercedes isn't exactly a good thing.. and veyr little of the car is mercedes.

I do believe the tranny is (which is not good)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i remember reading somewhere the chargers were built on the benz E-class platform which apprently in mercedes worst platform/make if that makes sense :knockout:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some components are borrowed from the previous generation E-Class. This doesn't mean Mercedes manufactures LX parts, it just means that components share the same design. The most obvious is the 5-speed W5A580 transmission (for Chargers, used in 06-07 3.5s and all Hemis), which is entirely a Mercedes design. The 4-speed is made by Chrylser.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
DArn, lets see if I can rememeber.

Transmission- As noted, the last generation E-class (W210) supplied this transmission, and, I will note, it was considered world class then, a short eight years ago.

Chassis - Dodge says clean sheet, Ive heard from folks I trust that its really are skinned, slightly modded W210.

Entire drivetrain aft of the trans - Same source.

Front suspension came for last gen C Class, rear suspension, again, from the W210 E-class.

Electronics - The majority of the electronics are a reworking of the same cars systems, hell, look at an older E-class's cruise control know, and dash panel control layout. ESP is from Conti-Teves, who developed the ESP/BAS/TCS system for guess who?

So, yeah, theres a ton of Mercedes in this car. And, given that that car was praised as a great car then, I'm okay with that.

http://www.eclassbenz.com/buyersguide

Oh, lastly, I read once that the SRTs transmission programming was initially sourced from the AMG guys, or the AMG guys helped the SRT guys with it.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
DArn, lets see if I can rememeber.

Transmission- As noted, the last generation E-class (W210) supplied this transmission, and, I will note, it was considered world class then, a short eight years ago.

Chassis - Dodge says clean sheet, Ive heard from folks I trust that its really are skinned, slightly modded W210.

Entire drivetrain aft of the trans - Same source.

Front suspension came for last gen C Class, rear suspension, again, from the W210 E-class.

Electronics - The majority of the electronics are a reworking of the same cars systems, hell, look at an older E-class's cruise control know, and dash panel control layout. ESP is from Conti-Teves, who developed the ESP/BAS/TCS system for guess who?

So, yeah, theres a ton of Mercedes in this car. And, given that that car was praised as a great car then, I'm okay with that.

http://www.eclassbenz.com/buyersguide

Oh, lastly, I read once that the SRTs transmission programming was initially sourced from the AMG guys, or the AMG guys helped the SRT guys with it.

Thats all nice and everything, but why the change of Avatar after like, I don't know, 3 years!

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Someone mentioned Fluffy was getting long in the tooth, so I figured why not. What has surprised me is that no one has asked WTH that freaking airliner is doing in Navy paint:)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It's real easy to tell what parts were Daimler inspired and which were Chrysler.
If is squeaks/rattles/bangs/jerks/leaks/breaks/fails/ locks-up/ reboots/resets/acts weird, then is a Daimler enspired part. The rest is Chrysler

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I went to get my exhaust done the guy put my car up on the lift and as soon as he stepped under my car his first words. "This looks just like a Mercedes!"

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Someone mentioned Fluffy was getting long in the tooth, so I figured why not. What has surprised me is that no one has asked WTH that freaking airliner is doing in Navy paint:)
here's your new avatar :cowsmile:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What has surprised me is that no one has asked WTH that freaking airliner is doing in Navy paint:)
Heck, everyone knows the Navy uses those 737's to haul around the big-wigs;) /where I work, (top secret) we installed winglets on two of those birds!!

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I manage an auto repair shop, we had a s-class mercedes on the rack and the drivetrain from transmission to differential is identical. Also had a crossfire in the shop, exactly the same as the clk mercedes.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Heck, everyone knows the Navy uses those 737's to haul around the big-wigs;) /where I work, (top secret) we installed winglets on two of those birds!!
Not the C-40 Clipper, those dont have Navy tactical paint......

This is the bird in my avatar

·
Registered
323 Posts
what i was told it was the rt with road and trac it was set on
the e 320 chassy and the trains other than the trains the rt / rt
is the only one that used the E 320 chassy :driving:

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't know how much is Chrysler or Mercedes but when I installed my quaife the new carrier bearings I ordered from the dodge dealer came in a Mercedes box with a mopar sticker on it.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Chrysler, Mercedes, Hyundai, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Toyota.........who cares, they're all made in Mexico anyway :) :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts