Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I custom ordered a 2014 Charger RT recently and I'm expecting it within a month. I've been doing some research and it seems like applying Opti-coat 2.0 to the brand new paint before it has a chance to get damaged would be the best idea. My question is, how do you all feel about this product and what would the prep process be like for a factory ordered vehicle that doesn't have any paint damage or previous waxes/sealants? Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You are gonna need to go through new car prep, meaning clay and polish. The car will have lots of rail dust on the paint that you will not want to seal to the paint. The clay will leave some marring, which can be fixed with a polish. If you don't want to mess with that, take it to a detailer. Haven't used the product in question, but I've heard great things about it. Good luck and post some pics!

·
Registered
648 Posts
A member of the DurangoOwners club forum had his new Durango Opti-coated, the truck was silver, he posted pics, and I'm not sure if it was the lighting, the pics, the camera, or the Opti, but it looked like it was coated in glass. Had a real deep shine, looked great. I've never seen a vehicle with the Opti coat on it in person, but the pics looked fantastic. He was also very happy with the results.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
They come caked with dirt and swirls in the clear coat and on the paint. Go ahead and use the sealant,
Just prep it properly before doing so.

BTW, a good wax will give you that "glass" like shine as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the Opti-coat put on my 2014 about a week after I got it. I had a professional detailer do it since I have no experience with the product (and honestly didn't know anything about claying or prepping it properly).

(Pictures at different times of day but I tried to find similar angles)
Before:

After:

So far I have never waxed it. After just a good foaming and wash (per Junkman's videos) the body is soft as butter and smoother than glass. Sometime soon I'll try waxing a panel just to see if it changes anything.

Here's after the first wash (no waxing):

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
that looks immaculate!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Havent seen you around in a while.

Welcome back!

thanks bro! The promotion and learning the nuances of my new position has definitely kept me busy. not to mention my two sons, ages 3 and 1, so I never really have a day off. my Charger is loooong overdue for a full on detail!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts