• not so much.

Votes: 8 26.7%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has begun.
I initially planned to do this just to "De-Shine" the chrome trim ring on the shifter plate.
Then I realized that the rest of the chrome trim comes off the car just as easily.
Like the trim around the cup holders, the trim around the gauges, and MOST importantly,

Are you ready for it?

THE INTERIOR DOOR HANDLES TOO!

Here's a few pics of the initial progress. It reveals a satin finish with tiny 'lines' as you can see by the close ups.

Tell me what you think!

I'm also doing this to my chrome clad! Check out the difference in this pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Tell us how you are doing it. Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I like it. Your doing a good job...almost looks factory.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once I finish the project I'll reveal my technique in more depth, but for now just think of "scuffed up chrome" like the projects seen from a custom cycle shop here in LA.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I am waiting on additional materials for more professional results.

Materials to do the entire car should be only $25-$50.

I should have most of what I need tomorrow, then a day or so to 'tune it up'.

I'll post more pics as I have them.

+++

·
Registered
695 Posts
I voted 'not so much' but it was a close 55/45 vote. I guess I'm sort of a shiny chrome guy. Nice work getting that satin finish. Good work and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
brushed Clads?? nice!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I can't stand blingy chrome. I very much look forward to learning how you went about this so I can copy the chit out of you! :D :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't stand blingy chrome. I very much look forward to learning how you went about this so I can copy the chit out of you! :D :thumbsup:
+1
Looking good, WestCoastDan. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:knockout::knockout:It looks like the vote is almost 2 to 1 in favor. That's good enough for me.
Don't get me wrong, I like chrome. (It's S H I I I I I N N N E E E :knockout:)

I just didn't think in fit well in this car because it was lacking continuity with the silver dash pieces.
I think it would look great if the dash bezels were a different color, but since my exterior is silver; let's just say "The chrome just don't mix well 4 me inside OR outside the car".

That's why I started the chrome clads also! :rocker:

I think the satin rims will give the car a stealthy look, they almost match the body color from 5 feet away.

Anyway, I was planning to obtain a few materials today, but nobody local had them in stock. I live in LA and STILL couldn't find everything that I had planned on getting. All of the materials were available in wholesale volumes, but who the hel would need more than maybe 2 or 3 of these gizmos for each wheel?

This 'lack of product' forced me to reroute and go the 'manual' approach.
This change also made me realize that few others will bother to do this because it is a ton of work.

Basically you have to firmly, evenly & lightly sand each piece to scuff up the chrome without going through it enough to reveal the copper or plastic that lies JUST beneath a VERY thin layer of metal.

I used green 'scotch brite' pads. Simple, but easy to screw it up on this thin layer.

I basically copied the idea that EXILE CYCLES (Russel Mitchell) uses on his custom exhausts and other cool stuff. (He's the first guy that I ever watched scuff up perfectly good chrome only to make it better!)

no affiliation, etc. just a fan of their products.

Anyway, here are a few more pics.
Enjoy, and please let me know what you think.

+++

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
continued

The materials I was trying to get are called 'cross buffs' by 3M.
They are basically a scotch pad on a stick that you can spin in a drill.

I cannot find them locally, so I went with regualr pads by hand.

Look at how close the handle is to actually matching the silver strip on the door panel! The other pic is there of the rear handle that I have not started yet for comparison of before & after.

That's a lot of work, but I wonder if it could be duplicated by mild media blast, such as sodium bicarb, walnut shells, plastic pellets, etc.?

I'm pretty sure they would all provide a 'matte' finish, but it would lack the lines that make them look almost 'machined'.

more pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I dig it! I figured it was something along those lines.

I worry about the rims though; hopefully the roughed-up surface won't soak up the dirt and stain them!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm glad you're doing something cool and original without being excessively flashy. At first I was like, what changed? But then I looked at a comparison and MAN it looks good.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the props!

It's a PITA to take everything apart to get the chrome separated from the 'mother part' that it is usually clipped to with flimsy little tabs that want nothing more than to break it you touch them roughly.

I was able to get the inside trim ring on the shifter bezel by snipping the melted gobs of plastic that hold it to the bezel.

The gauge trim rings are 'sandwiched' between the 'gauge tubes' & the outer 'pod'. You'll need to clip off the melted part of the tab and gently pry apart the pieces. It is clear once you have it in your hands.

On the dash pod, it was necessary to break a few chrome tabs just to show it who was in charge. The others I carefully unsnapped.

I had originally planned on shooting the 'tubes' silver, but that might be strange looking.

If I had a chrome grill, I'd do it to that too.:banana:

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
great job... result looks really good, i plan to do the same to me shifter bezel soon thanks for the process.

also about the rims.. all i got to say is - "your a brave man" lol i could never do that to my rims hehehe

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
People pretty much give away chrome crosshairs. I'm sure you can find one. :D

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
awesome idea.........I really want to do this to my door handles as thats the only chrome in my entire car.........any tips on how much pressure to use when doing by hand with scotch brite pads?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts