Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all
I'm a new owner and just realized that onstar GPS system still get GPS
Satellite signal although I'm not a member.
Call me paranoid or crazy but I do not want this. It also give me headaches.
I was told you can disconnect the antenna and the antenna inside the onstar unit without
affecti the car.
I went to the dealers but they won't give clear direction.
CAN SOME ONE here help me with this.

Had I known this I wouldnt have purchased.
Kind regards and thanks.

Pam

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Not sure where you are getting your information, but OnStar is a General Motors system, no Dodge cars have it.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yeah, but I'll bet she is thinking any onboard nav is OnStar.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Can I ask why specifically? When you say it gives you headaches...you are talking about the GPS/Antenna? I know this doesn't help solve your problem but I am sure I won't be the only one thinking this when reading your post. If I am offending by asking, please excuse my ignorance. I am sure someone will read this and know what to tell you to help you out. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
If you are not a paying customer, the car should not be transmitting anything. It can still receive the GPS signal, but that signal is all around you at any time anyway. As far as diconeecting the antenna, that shouldnt be to hard, let me do some digging, my cars a 2006 and I want to make sure the newer ones are the same way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can I ask why specifically? When you say it gives you headaches...you are talking about the GPS/Antenna? I know this doesn't help solve your problem but I am sure I won't be the only one thinking this when reading your post. If I am offending by asking, please excuse my ignorance. I am sure someone will read this and know what to tell you to help you out. Good luck.
Hi and no worries.
it may sound strange to you but im veryyy sensitve to gps and wifi singals. Ive met a few like this. also I dont feel comfortable in being tracked by anyone or having my speed detail uploaded to insurance and pos .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are not a paying customer, the car should not be transmitting anything. It can still receive the GPS signal, but that signal is all around you at any time anyway. As far as diconeecting the antenna, that shouldnt be to hard, let me do some digging, my cars a 2006 and I want to make sure the newer ones are the same way.
hey thanks

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
GPS antenna does not transmit anything, it's a passive receiver.

Chrysler does not come with OnStar.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Hi and no worries.
it may sound strange to you but im veryyy sensitve to gps and wifi singals. Ive met a few like this. also I dont feel comfortable in being tracked by anyone or having my speed detail uploaded to insurance and pos .
First, the system isn't capable of tracking you in any way. It's a receiver not a transmitter.

As far as GPS and WiFi signals, you are exposed to them all the time in the real world environment...and the car isn't emitting any of them at all.

The GPS on the car is a receiver, not a transmitter. The car also doesn't emit a WiFi signal since your car isn't WiFi capable.

Your fears are unfounded.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi and no worries.
I'm taking the bait here...

I can slightly identify with some folks, since I'm sensitive to some low-frequency AM signals, around 250kHz. When I was in the Navy, I could "hear" one of our LF beacons whenever I was within 1/4 mile of the antenna. Nobody believed me until I proved it by letting someone turn it off and on and I could tell them every time.

Let me tell you, I got really tired of hearing "AOG" in Morse code repeating over and over for four years. On the other hand, I knew whenever it was broken long before anyone could report it. ".- --- --." I'll never forget those beeps...

Like others have mentioned, there is no OnStar, though I'm not entirely convinced that the system has no transmit function. The car absolutely receives more data than just Sirius and GPS signals, some of the car's configuration comes OTA.

If you ever pull the radio out (2012+) or reset the Nav system to factory default, the interface sometimes changes. For example, if you erase the unprotected non-volatile memory in the Nav, the Nav interface will turn blue and the arrow will change. After some time, it will go back to normal UNLESS you leave the Sirius/GPS antenna disconnected.

I was having some trouble (DVD disc error) with my radio, so Chrysler ordered me a new one. Even though I wasn't getting the new one for a week or so, they updated the new radio's ID into their system, so they stopped sending my car's data to the right "address". My old radio would not correct itself anymore since it was out of the system.

I have also spoken to another forum member who is similarly interested in hacking these systems and has a buddy who works at Chrysler. While they were working on a project, the friend pulled up his data. According to the other member, his friend was able to pull up a LOT of information, including what music he listens to and how loud he turns up his radio - and this info did not come from a direct connection to the car.

The friend claimed that the info was transmitted via "WiFi", and while I'm not sure that is entirely accurate, I have no way of knowing if it's WiFi, cellular, or satellite link.

Personally, I'm not the paranoid type. I really don't care that I'm tracked, whether it be via my cell phone, my car, or some other arcane method. It's simply the world we live in now, and unless I come up on the radar, I'm just one datapoint in an enormous pool. If I ever murder my wife and try to hide the body, I'll probably get caught!

OP, if it really bothers you, you can disconnect your Sirius antenna from the back of the radio to at least remove that avenue. If there is a WiFi or cellular connection hidden around somewhere, I wouldn't know how to disable those, nor do I care to spend the time researching it. My advice would be to sell the Charger and buy an older car if you really worry about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Here is my take on it...why would you buy a car with the features in it. I mean, I can understand your sensitivity to these signals, but if you don't want these items in your vehicle, why buy the vehicle with them in it?

As for them tracking you, I doubt there is any transmitter in our vehicles, unless, you have the WIFI package for the vehicle installed, and even then I doubt there is anything going out without our knowledge. Remember, with all modern cars, they all have computers in them, storing all kinds of data.

Like others have stated, Factory OnStar is only on GM cars. Yes, you can get an OnStar Mirror that has most of the functionality of a FACTORY OnStar system, but you would have to install that yourself.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
with the Black antenae mounted on roof.
The black antenna you are referring to is for the Sirius/XM satellite radio service! Once you get a new car, you get a free trial! After the trial is over, it will get disconnected if you do not call to subscribe.

If you do call to subscribe, then they usually will get a credit card on file, and it will auto-renew until you call to cancel!

If you are still getting Sirius/XM radio, then you need to call and cancel it if you do not want it!

The navigation service is free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts