Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided I'm going to switch over to Silverstars and went out and got some from AutoZone. So here is a bit of a write-up and the story which led one mod/upgrade to turn into 3 new things done to the car.

For those of you thinking of changing out your bulbs, here's a quick how-to.

The headlight bulbs are really easy...Just pull your radiator covers off, and one-by-one twist and pull each bulb out to swap them. The bulb assemby is held in to the harndess by a two pronged retainer that can be easily lifted with your flathead screwdriver while pulling the bulb assembly out.DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS WITH YOUR BARE FINGERS!!! The oils on you fingers will cause the bulbs to prematurely burn out. Use gloves or a cloth to handle them. Honestly you can do the whole procedure without ever touching the bulb itself but the caution is there just in case.

Let me start off by saying, there are several ways to go about switching your fog light bulbs but this is how I did it. Ten minutes max and very easy.

You will need:

Socket wrench
10mm socket
7mm socket
a panel clip puller (or a flathead screwdriver)

I threw the car up on jack stands and crawled under. The rear splash panel has four 10mm bolts/screws holding it up. Remove those, slide panel off and set aside.

The front splash panel has ten 7mm bolts/screws along the front edge. Remove those and set aside. There are also three panel clips on the outer edges of the front splash panel in the wheel well. Pry out the center part first and then pull the whole clip out. The splah panel will now come off easily. You will be left with a view of the back side of your fog lights like this.

The bulbs themselves are very easy to swap out. Just rotate and pull out and follow the same directions as the headlights stated above.

Place the bulb and harness back in and once you're done with both sides begin fastening the front panel by starting with the center screws/bolts. and working outward. The clips on the end will be last. Make sure to pay attention to the slots in which the edges slide into. You'll see!

Put the rear panel back up and put the four screws/bolts back in. That's it!!

A lot of folks have tried to show the difference between stock bulbs and Silverstars but it's hard to photograph. Although it's not a drastic difference, there definetly is one. Here's a photo to show you.
The left side is stock bulbs and the right side is the Silverstars

Now since I had the car up and panels pulled, I decided to install my lower grille pieces that I made. Having access to the back side like that made it a lot easier to devise a way to mount them. I figured it out and here's what it looks like now

So when I was done with the grille I decided I may as well install my caliper decals that have been sitting in my garage just screaming to be put on. Here's how that little task came out.

Although I really don't consider the decal a mod in itself, the combination of painting the calipers and the decals is a mod. Doesn't look too bad IMO.

So there you have it. I started out just installing some damn bulbs and it turned into a three mod, two evening project.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow. That's pretty snazzy there. Where'd you get that decal from. That thing is TITZ!!!!!! Also, do you think it would hold up to a daily driver? I don't have a show car, so I'd LOVE that mod more than a fat kid (such as myself ) likes cakes, but I don't want it peeling after a few weeks.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. That's pretty snazzy there. Where'd you get that decal from. That thing is TITZ!!!!!! Also, do you think it would hold up to a daily driver? I don't have a show car, so I'd LOVE that mod more than a fat kid (such as myself ) likes cakes, but I don't want it peeling after a few weeks.
Well Fatty, let's see...LOL J/K...I'm kidding really!

I'm not sure how these are going to hold up. My car is a daily driver as well; about 40 miles a dsy so I'll soon find out how they hold up. They are supposed to be high temp decals. Here's where I grabbed them from.

http://xenonmods.com/

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great. Where did you get the lower grill pieces
I made the inserts from an extra SRT grille insert I had. Basically for lack of a better explaination...I butchered the grille to get the pieces i needed to make it.

Nice job! Your car is looks great.
Thank You. And by the way...when you coming home??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.