Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only 500 miles on mine but since i got the car after a decent drive when i opne the door i smell something maybe its from the exhaust or the engine but someone told me its fine that a new car with hemi will do that.

Anyone else know what im talking about and what is it?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm, sounds like the preservative burning off the exhaust system :confused:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Nah... it's the smell of the sweaty hampsters under the hood after a serious workout!

J/K! :biggrin:

It's from the exhaust. Very common in new cars.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Raven said:
Nah... it's the smell of the sweaty hampsters under the hood after a serious workout!

J/K! :biggrin:

It's from the exhaust. Very common in new cars.
LOL, I knew I'd get it wrong :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
I noticed a peculiar smell too. Got mine with 9 miles, about 200-500 was the smell, IIRC.

I don't know the source because the smell was just strange, but it did go away. I think it only lasted for a few days.

I'm sure its something that is "burning" off since I haven't smelled it since. Maybe it's just crap sprayed on a area that was GOING to get hot. Like brakes, exhaust, engine, etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is any of the exhaust system ceramic coated? Catalytic converter, maybe? The ceramic coating they put on headers and things these days needs heat to finish curing. When I got my headers on my last car coated, they had a funky smell like you describe for about 500 miles that eventually went away.

Is the engine block powder coated or just painted?

But check under the hood next time you smell it anyway - a smell like melting plastic might actually BE melting plastic!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not ceramic on anything. It's usually the oil that the exhaust system is coated with to prevent rusting from it sitting around for periods of time. That's why every car you would ever buy new has about 8-10 miles on it. The R/T I drove to put the mileage on this past week smoked from the oils burning off of the exhaust. It is a normal thing. Other techs at the dealership that let the cars sit in the shop and run before being driven usually smoke the whole shop out with the oils burning off the exhaust. It's very normal, and will happen for the first few hundred miles.

Karl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts