Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a disturbing trend of late reguarding the nuvo-horsepower wars... It would seem that a number of manufactures are "jucing" their vehicles for road tests. In the latest motor trend( could be c&d) they test the new saleen mustang...It didn't pass emissions, had smaller tires than what was quoted by employees and was only a tenth of a second quicker than a stock gt...it would seem that saleen was caught cheating to give better acceleration figures than the stock gt, unless the stock gt's were juiced in some way to give better performance than in reality. I know that GM deactivated the torque management computer on the new vette, which enabled it to post 3 tenths quicker time in the 1/4 than the actual times real owners got. There has been a long and storied past on "ringer" cars given to magazines... the most notable was c&d getting a Royal bobcat GTO to face off against a ferrari GTO...where the stock GTO had a 389, the bobcat packed a super duty 421( visualy identical) and kicked ferrari butt (in a straight line)....performance sells performance cars, so what new cars released to magazines are "juiced" to help sales? do you think that an automotive publication would have a hidden agenda?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sports Car Mag: "Sti vs EVO V11 vs Gti"
I don't think the VW should have been able to keep up but there it was.!!
:cool:

·
Registered
474 Posts
The funny thing about that is it really didn't perform any better. At least not enough to warrant the increase in price! Supposedly, they have challenged Saleen to provide them with another car that will pass emissions, so they can test it again.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Country said:
The funny thing about that is it really didn't perform any better. At least not enough to warrant the increase in price! Supposedly, they have challenged Saleen to provide them with another car that will pass emissions, so they can test it again.
That was my point... did saleen have to "cheat" because ford already did with the cars given to magazines? Besides, ALL magazines have a bias, they sell advertising to the very product industry that they are testing. Think about the GTO, that car perfomes extremely well, yet the car magazines dismissed the looks. Just like most old GTO lovers did when the car was officially shown....sounds like preaching to the chior to me... then there was C&D giving the 05 Mustang ( one of their 10 best) the "win" over the 05 Goat because of the "gotta have it " factor :confused: even though the GTO won almost every objective catagory...I wonder if the Charger will share the same fate...

·
Registered
28 Posts
chargershed said:
That was my point... did saleen have to "cheat" because ford already did with the cars given to magazines? Besides, ALL magazines have a bias, they sell advertising to the very product industry that they are testing. Think about the GTO, that car perfomes extremely well, yet the car magazines dismissed the looks. Just like most old GTO lovers did when the car was officially shown....sounds like preaching to the chior to me... then there was C&D giving the 05 Mustang ( one of their 10 best) the "win" over the 05 Goat because of the "gotta have it " factor :confused: even though the GTO won almost every objective catagory...I wonder if the Charger will share the same fate...
Cshed...
keep your ear to the streets. not the mags...
the GT and R/T will sell more than the gto on looks alone.
IMO the R/T is the better looking than the 'stang. I think they have a similar front end(squared off) but the flared out panels and rear gives the charger the edge.
The interior will also by won by the charger simply because it is larger.
from the folk I talk to, the charger is liked more than the 'stang.

·
Registered
832 Posts
chargershed said:
then there was C&D giving the 05 Mustang ( one of their 10 best) the "win" over the 05 Goat because of the "gotta have it " factor :confused: even though the GTO won almost every objective catagory...I wonder if the Charger will share the same fate...
First off the GTO didn't win every catagory(PRICE for one) I don't know who told them that they could get away w/sell that thing at 32,9 base which is almost 14,000 less than a base stang!!! And of course you have the gotta have it factor cuz if someone came up to you and offered ether one Free which one are you gonna take?!?(and if you say gto you are lying).Pontiac just mess that up. There whole line up looks exactly the same from the G6 to the Bonnivile. the only pontaic i would consider driving is the firebird.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RonRacer said:
First off the GTO didn't win every catagory(PRICE for one) I don't know who told them that they could get away w/sell that thing at 32,9 base which is almost 14,000 less than a base stang!!! And of course you have the gotta have it factor cuz if someone came up to you and offered ether one Free which one are you gonna take?!?(and if you say gto you are lying).Pontiac just mess that up. There whole line up looks exactly the same from the G6 to the Bonnivile. the only pontaic i would consider driving is the firebird.
If someone gave me a base stang for free I would trade it for a cobalt, 'cause the base stang sucks! I would take a GTO over a stang everytime, no exceptions...besides the base GTO doesn't have any options , it already has them all! GT stangs and GTO's here in denver are going for the same price, about 29,000.... What's with the orangeletters?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts