Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've got your attention, has anyone seen or can post a pic of a charger with rims and tires of a smaller total diameter. Specifically, I'm looking for a charger pic with 245/45/17's or similar on it. I'm thinking of going this direction in the future and trying to do some visual research. Reason behind this is that I've never been one that enjoyed the big rim look and IMO the charger R/T comes with rims that are already slightly to big. Now I had to have the Hemi :grin: , so therefore got stuck with the 18's.:confused: My other reasoning behind this is I've found a much larger selection of tires in the 245/45/17 range there by giving me way more options for future tire purchases.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hmm

I have 15's for the rear with slicks when I go to the strip, but that is not what you are after me thinks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
245/45/17 is going to be way short of a tire... your speedo will be off, and have to be at a higher freeway RPM to be crusing...

Its going to be a 3" difference...

you are going to need a 245/60/17 to be the same as stock diameter... not sure what performance tires are available in that size... :-/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speedo won't be an issue since I'm counting on getting a tuner of some sort anyway. Also, this will be a painless way of changing my gearing since I"ll be about 8-10% higher across the rpm range, which I also don't see as bad.:grin: And no, there are no performance tires at the 245/60/17 range.

Would anyone know if this will have an adverse effect on handleing at all??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 15's for the rear with slicks when I go to the strip, but that is not what you are after me thinks.
I"m actually betting it will have the same effect as your 15's with drag radials, a noticable improvement in the gearing ratio for quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your handling will be better since your unsprung weight will be reduced as well as your rotational mass...

I just mentioned about the tire size since most people dont relise this...

You will experience much greater acceleration...

For every pound of weight you shave off your wheels and tires, its literally like adding a few horse power...

Go for it!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I understand your reasoning for wanting smaller rims and I can totally respect that.... I just dont think you realize how small of a tire this is going to be. Ive seen 245/45/17s on a '02 monte carlo and those wheels and tires looked waaay too small for the car.... Seeing them on a Charger would look ridiculous. There is going to be a HUGE gap between the tire and fender. If you're fine with that look, then more power to ya, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of what you were getting into. I have no problem with people running a smaller rim and I totally understand the motivation for that, but you need to compensate for the size difference with a bigger tire.

-Pat

·
Registered
743 Posts
Now I had to have the Hemi :grin: , so therefore got stuck with the 18's.:confused: My other reasoning behind this is I've found a much larger selection of tires in the 245/45/17 range there by giving me way more options for future tire purchases.
Just make sure the wheels will fit over the front brakes... I've seen 18's that have rubbing issues with the caliper.
There is a REASON they put large wheels on the car you know... but it would be interesting to see an anti-Donk.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Just make sure the wheels will fit over the front brakes... I've seen 18's that have rubbing issues with the caliper.
There is a REASON they put large wheels on the car you know... but it would be interesting to see an anti-Donk.
Didnt even think of the brake issues.... good point! Actually, radarmagnet is probably exactly right. I dont think 17s will clear the large front brakes we have, so you might be entirely out of luck on this one.

-Pat

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was hoping I'd get lucky with the brakes since the base chargers come with 17's. Anyone know how much bigger the brakes are on an R/T compared to the SX?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand your reasoning for wanting smaller rims and I can totally respect that.... I just dont think you realize how small of a tire this is going to be. Ive seen 245/45/17s on a '02 monte carlo and those wheels and tires looked waaay too small for the car.... Seeing them on a Charger would look ridiculous. There is going to be a HUGE gap between the tire and fender. If you're fine with that look, then more power to ya, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of what you were getting into. I have no problem with people running a smaller rim and I totally understand the motivation for that, but you need to compensate for the size difference with a bigger tire.

-Pat
Yea, that was my main concern. Was hoping not the be the guinea pig and find someone with similar setup that I"m looking to get. Maybe someone using 17's for drag purposes that have similar total size just for me to get a good idea about the visual impact.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I had 17"s on my 04 Tbird - the cobra-style 5 spokes and i loved them. problem is, on cars with huge wheel wells like ours, you need more wheel to fill it out.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yea, that was my main concern. Was hoping not the be the guinea pig and find someone with similar setup that I"m looking to get. Maybe someone using 17's for drag purposes that have similar total size just for me to get a good idea about the visual impact.
Here is a thread from a forum member that recently posted:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56177

Its really hard to get a good look at what the car really looks like, but if you look as best you can and try to distinguish the black lip of the wheel from the tire, you can really see a) how small the wheel looks on there and b) how small the overall diameter looks in relation to the car and its fender wells. This guy is running a 245/45/18, so hes got an inch bigger wheel then you want to run and I think it already looks waaaaayyy too small.... 17s would only be worse. As for anyone with 17s and a drag slick, I have yet to come across, but I will be sure to post if I do!

-Pat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Give Bob @ precision motorsports of Fl a call. I know he has a lower profile tire on his stock rims that he has used to auto-x the charger with. Be prepared for some large wheel gaps and ground clearance issues though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have 3 17" wheels that are guaranteed to fit the '07 Charger RT
Borbet Type TS $159
Dale Jr Octane $203
and the AT Italia 9razze $129
Ethan, Question...

Ok...

5x114.3 compared to 5x115 bolt patern... not even a milimeter in difference...

Can we or can we not SAFELY run 5x114.3 wheels?

·
Registered
609 Posts
How exactly did you get the 15's to fit over the rear brakes?? 15's are way to small to fit on our cars.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would definitely NOT recommend using thw 114.3 bolt pattern.
The seat of the lugnut would only be contacting a small portion of the lug seat on the wheel. The nuts could loosen with disastrous results.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would definitely NOT recommend using thw 114.3 bolt pattern.
The seat of the lugnut would only be contacting a small portion of the lug seat on the wheel. The nuts could loosen with disastrous results.
Thanks for the input, seeing that some people on here were saying it can be done... Didnt think it was a good Idea...

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts