Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes started squeaking at 10k. Each time the dealer said it was normal. By the time they got to 20k they were so loud my neighbors gave me dirty looks when I pulled into my driveway (not exagerrating).

So after denying for over a year, my dealership said to do a ridealong with a tech. Sure enough, the tech said something is seriously wrong. So instead of being helpful, the service rep is a smart ass. "Okay, so you're right Mr. ____, there's a problem with your brakes. Do you want them replaced? If so, they're not under warranty so the cost will be "____."

I'm tired of Dodge/Chrysler and I'm sick and tired of the my dealership. I have a friend of the family who has a shop that took care of my cars for years. My question is, if I use him and he replaces the pads/rotors, does that mess with my warranty? What I mean is, can Dodge say in a year "oh well we're not going to honor that part of your warranty because you went to a 3rd party for your brakes."

I mean, I'm gonna do it either way because I'll be damned if Dodge gets one more penny of my money aside from my monthly payments. Also, if this is the case, I'm going to sell them back my extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
as consumables brake pads and rotors are only warrantied for 1 year/12,000 miles

Sorry I know it sucks, but replacing them on these cars is super easy.

Can you really sell an extended warranty back?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as consumables brake pads and rotors are only warrantied for 1 year/12,000 miles

Sorry I know it sucks, but replacing them on these cars is super easy.

Can you really sell an extended warranty back?
I understand the 1 yr/12k thing. What's too bad is that it started at 10k, and since I didn't have documentation (when I talked to Dodge corporate), they said that they can't take my word over the dealer's word.

As for the warranty, yes, but you only get a percentage back. Basically you get the percent back of what wasn't used. For example if you've used 2 years of a 7 year, you get 5/7th's back. I'm seriously contemplating doing it, even if I get $700 or so back, because quite honestly I don't want Dodge to see $1 more of my money.

I can also see in the future (as they have in the past) them saying when I have a major problem that it was caused by something not covered under warranty. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about cars, so they'll know they can get away with lying. For God's sake, I had to bring in my car 5 times before they replaced my PCM (car would shake at random times and the all the lights would stop). Until I threatened getting an attorney in regards to lemon laws, they didn't do anything. Sure enough they acted after that. And of course, since it was in the first year, they knew it was a legit threat.

I've just never in my life experienced such horrible customer service. And Chrysler wonders why they get no business and are going under.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Legally they can't void your warranty for using aftermarket parts UNLESS they can prove that the replacement non-OEM equipment caused a failure. I think they'll be hard pressed to convince anyone that reputable replacement parts caused any new failures unless they're installed incorrectly, in which case you should go back to the person who installed them and discuss it with them. Highly unlikely for something as routine as brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts