Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so earlier today was killin some time decided to test drive an srt-8. first thing i noticed during the drive is lack of low end when accelerating but not full throttle. got on the freeway a bit feels like a whipier 5.7 alot of power not showing itself until after 3k rpm. I feel like its stock pcm is really holding back, after that i got me thinking maybe i'll be keeping my daytona. When i think about driving that srt-8 if it was modded though makes me think it would kick alot more ass.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that too i just feel a little disapointed. I still dont know if i'll be trading in soon or keep up the daytona.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They key to the the acceleration is to mash your right foot to the floor. :grin: As much as I loved by GMG Daytona, my PC SRT kicks it's ass.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Got plenty of low end here???

·
Registered
232 Posts
My GMG daytona has a noticable lack of power between 1-3k RPMs. Right as it gets past 3k RPMs it picks up like a bat out of hell. I noticed this with the SRT as well when I test drove a superbee with 6k miles. The SRT obviously was faster, but the low end power was lacking just as bad. I find this rather annoying. Maybe I just need to get some shorties and a supercharger...

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I'd say that off line acceleration between the two isn't toooooooooo different. The 6.1 really showes its balls 4000 and up
I ran a 300SRT at the track with my RT a while ago... had him off the line and we were even at the 1/8 mile, he walked away from there.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yeah, its all about keeping her up in the revs. Downshift as needed:) Plant that foot hard (I know, hard to do on a test drive) and get her to drop a gear or two.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also test drove an SRT-8 last year before I bought my Daytona. I agree that is was a little disappointing at the low end. I have also gone the the SRT track experience and driven the SRT-8s there. I can assure you that they were broken in, and yes they are fasterin the higher rpms, I will never deny that, but I did still cannot justify the extra grand for it. Even at the Track exerience, my Daytona got plenty of attention.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok I posted before I proof read. The price difference was between 10 - 12k extra, but most everyone knew that anyway.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to see somone knows else can relate to what im saying. I think that to get full potential they atleast need a flash tune be it SC, diablo or B&G, then we can get a good idea of what that 6.1L can really do.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I started a thread about this a while back. Called it "lack of low end grunt".
This big 6.1L V8 does not make its full 425HP until up at the very high end of the rpm band. From 3000 rpm and up this thing roars. Unfortunetly we don't drive around at 3000 rpm. Around town this thing cruises at about 1700-1800 and there is a very noticeable lag. Try holding it in 2nd with the slap shift at
3000, and then punch it. Now that's what we need to feel. The old 5.0 mustangs used to kick ass from 1500 rpm up. If this SRT8 had a 3:55 rear end it would really help. Mileage would suffer so that is why Dodge put in this stupid 2:70 or whatever it is. Still, most of us would not dump the car
for something else. :grin:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just dont agree. Mine just isnt that way. It was a bit sluggish my first 5000 miles, after cai, Catback and resetting the computer , i am really peppy.

I swear some turns i have to breathe on the pedal or it will chirp. I hit parking lots around my house and drift at will. Its such an animal these days especially since it gets in the 50's now in the evening and morning.

Mine is broke in and gets it like nobodys business. My eyes are still wide open from a ride i took 2 hours ago.

THis car rocks!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It is a beast above 4,000. Auto stick is your friend. Once you get good with it the power is there whenever you need it.

I have said it before. The brakes and suspension alone were worth the premium for me. The motor is just gravy, very yummy gravy. :smoke:

·
Registered
851 Posts
My SRT8 Magnum has 12k and it still is not as responsive as my Daytona with 32k. My wife has been driving the Magnum for a few weeks and she drove the Daytona to the store; when she came back she commented on how different the two felt when driving. She said was driving much faster in the Daytona.
I know the Magnum is faster..when you really get on it or hold the gears manually, but in stop and go city the Daytona is more fun.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Mine is broke in and gets it like nobodys business. My eyes are still wide open from a ride i took 2 hours ago.

THis car rocks!
I'm with you, brother. Coasting up to a red light tonight, the light turned green before I came to a complete stop. Quick check for red light runners, and I gave some go-pedal and left rubber through the intersection, without even trying, from a roll.

Driving in Autostick helps a lot too on this perceived grunt issue. The SRT shifts to quickly in full auto (probably a gas saving feature). All the horsepower in the world won't help if you are in a high gear too early.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I started a thread about this a while back. Called it "lack of low end grunt".
This big 6.1L V8 does not make its full 425HP until up at the very high end of the rpm band. From 3000 rpm and up this thing roars. Unfortunetly we don't drive around at 3000 rpm. Around town this thing cruises at about 1700-1800 and there is a very noticeable lag. Try holding it in 2nd with the slap shift at
3000, and then punch it. Now that's what we need to feel. The old 5.0 mustangs used to kick ass from 1500 rpm up. If this SRT8 had a 3:55 rear end it would really help.
Mileage would suffer so that is why Dodge put in this stupid 2:70 or whatever it is. Still, most of us would not dump the car
for something else. :grin:

Bingo...what he said...remember the 5.7 was made to be a fuel saver lower gear ratios with some high end power with a low crusing range...the 6.1 was not...it was made to perform...so with that being said i believe that the srt should have that low end torque in around the 18-22 range and just pull from there and not have a powerband that doesnt kick in untill 3k its almost like turbo lag and in a way v-tec...gears would really help these cars BIG TIME!!! sucks no one has figured em out yet...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had the same experience test driving a red SRT8 at carmax with 1200 miles. Drove it WOT through all the streets autostick and automatic. Low end was not what I expected. Ended just getting a r/t with road and track. With 10k more for SRT8 just put in a turbo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try this: put it in autostick at a stop, then slowly accelerate to 3000 RPMs (20-25 mph). Once there, floor it. I've managed to chirp the tires from the 20-25 mph roll in my daytona. That's the throwback I wish we had from lower RPMs with both the SRT-8 and the R/T.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts