Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, thanks for any and all feedback.

Here's the deal. Being the cheap, *&^$%$# that I am, to help my exhaust sound, I had the resonators removed for $60 at the local muffler shop. Sounds good, but the "War Dept." (wife) hates the drone at around 2200 rpms. It also starts getting to me, if I run the R/T in that rpm range for a while. That being said (my plan worked...) she said I have got to change that exhaust... It really needs some level of resonation.

Most excellent!

1. I know the Magnaflow catback goes for approx. $950. Borla 125s goes for $995. I've heard sound clips, but nothing in person. I've read the Bob's Exhaust thread, but it looks like it doesn't use resonators for the tips. What are the recommendations, complaints etc?

2. If I get a $1000 kit and its got bad drone, you'll be reading about a mysterious death of a husband in Dallas.

3. Who has installed other kits and which ones?

4. Are these kits something I can put on or do I need a welder to assist?

Again, many thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,732 Posts
in addition to the kits mentioned... ckeck out our site sponsor.... zoomers exhaust... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
DallasRT said:
1. I know the Magnaflow catback goes for approx. $950. Borla 125s goes for $995. I've heard sound clips, but nothing in person. I've read the Bob's Exhaust thread, but it looks like it doesn't use resonators for the tips. What are the recommendations, complaints etc?
First thing - WAIT for a group buy or watch "other" forums for them. I bought the cat-back MagnaFlow for the SRT for less than $640 including shipping. I think the RT version was $575 shipped.

They can be self installed - I got a quote from a shop for $60 to $100 to install. (no welding req)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
in addition to the kits mentioned... ckeck out our site sponsor.... zoomers exhaust... :)

Zoomers..........................YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I just put my borla 112's on and i love them. Nice and beefy on start up quiet at normal driving and aggresive tone when you open her up!! I bought them through 21st Century Exhaust from David for $680 plus $50 shipping to California. They are out of Florida. Excellent seller was shipped ground ups the next day. I was reffered to him by other forum members thanks guys. Could not find it cheaper than 800+. Oh yeah wife loves it and she said she couldnt tell until i put the gas through the floor. I hope this helps because i know that buying an exhaust can be quite skeptical. Only 1 problem it seems to rattle or rub something in the rear, taking it back tomorrow to re-adjust and the right tip sits further in from the left tip. All in all I LOVE IT!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
So Dallas was this any help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Dallas,
I have the Borlas 140125, bought for about $850 free shipping, you could probably google a better deal from somewhere, dont buy directly from borla.Self install, no welding required.No resonators, 5 inch tips, aggressive, deep growl.But even though it's loud on the outside, it's not annoying at all and conversations can be held in the car at normal decibels.I have no complaints, at least 3 other members on this forum have them.I just hope that you learned that being cheap can sometimes cost your more money, like they say, you get what you pay for!Adding a good exhaust system will prove beneficial in the long run, well worth the investment, good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all...

I'll start doing my homework on finding the best prices. - DallasRT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
Thanks for asking this questoin Dallas. I'm also thinking of an exhaust change. Does anyone know what exhuast gives you the best HP gain with a CAI? My criteria is not cost but noise level (take clients out all the time). I would sacrifice a few ponies to keep the interior noise level the way it is or slightly louder. Anyone have any input on the quietest exhaust with the best gain?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
Hemiready said:
Thanks for asking this questoin Dallas. I'm also thinking of an exhaust change. Does anyone know what exhuast gives you the best HP gain with a CAI? My criteria is not cost but noise level (take clients out all the time). I would sacrifice a few ponies to keep the interior noise level the way it is or slightly louder. Anyone have any input on the quietest exhaust with the best gain?

I do not know if it is the quietest nor do I know if it is better, I have Zoomers on my R/T. Cost? Yea a little more than other systems but I will give you my opinion on Zoomers only and will not comment on a system that I do not have.

Zoomers installed in about 35 min. That is from cut out of stock to completion. I had to drive our program officer to lunch the other day (let me just tell you without the mention of the aerospace company I work for he is to our company like D. Rumsfeld is to the U.S) and he loved the car the sound and everything we were still able to talk and he was able to hear on his cell phone .I hope that answers your question about annoying the clients.

As for HP gains I do not really know. I am not into the whole Dyno thing I just do not think they are accurate enough to keep bragging about. But my ass tells me and friends who have been in the car before and after install. There is a difference. Also I am getting about 2-3 MPG more on fuel.

The number one thing that sold me on Zoomers is they are the only ones that I know of that offer a life time warranty.

Hope this helps...,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
As for the most horse power with a CIA, all the exhaust are good. It comes down to wht do you want to accomplish? In order of sound from quite to loud they are Borla, Magnaflow, Zoomers and Flowmaster. I have heard and driven cars that have these systems. I have not seen or heard the Coersa system, as of yet. They are all nice units and the first two can be installed DYI. As for the HP 99.9% of us will never utilize the full potential, as these are daily drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,869 Posts
fatchance said:
Borla, Magnaflow, Zoomers and Flowmaster. They are all nice units and the first two can be installed DYI.
Fatchance...Just wanted to add to your reply. You stated that the first two that would be Borla and Magnaflow are DYI...I need to add that the Zoomers is also DYI. Very easy system to install. All the hangers are all ready welded to the pipes and the match up to the OEM hanger points is perfect. All you need is a jack or lift, sawsall or saber saw, Ratchet set and a pry bar to pull the OEM exhaust out of the hangers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,983 Posts
Thanks guys. The money part isn't the primary concern. I just don't want to have that drone and too much noise. I did an exhuast on my bike and was sorry.
Maybe the Borla's are the way to go for me ? The reason I asked about hp is that if I'm going to spend the $$'s I would like to get some gain :happy:
Gas mileage increase sounds interesting.

I get to use a Sawzall? This is my kind of project!

Is it better to get a professional install and welding done for an airtight fit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
Hemiready said:
Thanks guys. The money part isn't the primary concern. I just don't want to have that drone and too much noise. I did an exhuast on my bike and was sorry.
Maybe the Borla's are the way to go for me ? The reason I asked about hp is that if I'm going to spend the $$'s I would like to get some gain :happy:
Gas mileage increase sounds interesting.

I get to use a Sawzall? This is my kind of project!

Is it better to get a professional install and welding done for an airtight fit?
One of the 300cforums members has the Borla with the Volant CIA. He did the install himself, with no problems. I have driven his car and riden in it many times. IMO of all the systems I've heard I liked it the best and yes there you feel the difference.

ANTMAG06, thanks for the info on the Zoomers install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,177 Posts
If done right, the cat back systems will give you 10-30 additional HP and slightly better gas mileage. The thing to avoid are systems with the dreaded "drone" at low RPM highway cruising.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
MCaesar said:
If done right, the cat back systems will give you 10-30 additional HP and slightly better gas mileage. The thing to avoid are systems with the dreaded "drone" at low RPM highway cruising.

There ain't no Drone with the Zoomers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,308 Posts
MCaesar said:
If done right, the cat back systems will give you 10-30 additional HP and slightly better gas mileage. The thing to avoid are systems with the dreaded "drone" at low RPM highway cruising.

The brands listed are all proven not to produce drone or bare minimal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Read my post about MagnaFlow - installed today on my Daytona.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
fatchance said:
One of the 300cforums members has the Borla with the Volant CIA. He did the install himself, with no problems. I have driven his car and riden in it many times. IMO of all the systems I've heard I liked it the best and yes there you feel the difference.

ANTMAG06, thanks for the info on the Zoomers install.
112's or 125's? i just can't get over how much i love my borla 125s!!! they are very aggresive....maybe a little too aggressive for a client car, or maybe not.....your clients will light up when they are in it with 125s or 112s to be honest....i am very partial though. i have heard a few setups.....borlas still the best out of the bunch in my opinion!!!
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top