Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Hi Nicole:
Any good brand of 5w20 oil will be fine. The MDS cylinder shutdown system requires it for proper operation.
Most folks here run synthetic oil instead of the regular dinosaur stuff, but as long as you change it regularly with an oem or better filter, you will be good.

The 5.7L engine takes 7 quarts.

Don

·
Registered
312 Posts
Getting any blow-by? If so, stay away from Mobil 1 which seems to exacerbate leaks/wear. In fact, if the manual doesn't say to use fully synthetic, just use semi-syn or regular.
Mobil 1 would not exacerbate leaks and because the manual does not mention synthetic does not mean it is not a good choice.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Getting any blow-by? If so, stay away from Mobil 1 which seems to exacerbate leaks/wear. In fact, if the manual doesn't say to use fully synthetic, just use semi-syn or regular.
This used to apply when synthetic oil was new and you had older style engines with cork gaskets, etc that would leak once the synthetic hit it. Synthetic is much better for these engines if only for the fact that it reduces the sludge problems some of them have.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Dodge said in the 2006 Owner's Manual..

Use API Certified engine oil. SAE 5W-20 is recommended. Refer to the engine oil fill cap for the correct SAE grade meeting DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

So any 5W-20 that on the back of the bottle says that it meets MS-6395 is good to use.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
need to know the right oil type for 2006 r/t charger 115,000 mileage on it
I have an 2006 Magnum R/T 5.7 with 190,000 miles. Been using 5-20 full synthetic its whole life. MDS works fine and absolutely no problems. I've heard that if you have been using conventional oil, going synthetic Could, cause oil leaks since it is much slipperier, but since I use only full syn I cannot say for sure.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
need to know the right oil type for 2006 r/t charger 115,000 mileage on it
One option is to speak with Brian (370 HEMI), a vendor on this forum and others. He has several products for our vehicles that are really worth considering. I was using Mobil 1 up until about 110,000 mi and then switched to Brian's oil and other products. We're at 265,458 mi now without any issues with his products for the last ~155,000 miles. We've bought our Charger R/T with RTPG new Sep 2005.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I have an 2006 Magnum R/T 5.7 with 190,000 miles. Been using 5-20 full synthetic its whole life. MDS works fine and absolutely no problems. I've heard that if you have been using conventional oil, going synthetic Could, cause oil leaks since it is much slipperier, but since I use only full syn I cannot say for sure.
Good luck.
With some notable exceptions, every "gasket" is a rubber o-ring in that engine. Not like cork gaskets back in the day.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good luck.
Switching to synth does not cause leaks. What people used to think is syth oil tended to have better detergents that it would "clean" out the build up around gaskets that were damaged so they would simply start to leak. This was really not the case and certainly has not been the case for upteen years as engine design has changed so much since 30 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts