Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise emanating from the engine on my '06 SRT that I believe is the oil squirter. It is a kind of a whine that to me, sounds very similar to a power steering pump that is low on fluid (it's not that.)

I am running Quantum Blue that I put in roughly two weeks ago. The noise predates the oil change, but has not changed.

Should I be worried?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I have a noise emanating from the engine on my '06 SRT that I believe is the oil squirter. It is a kind of a whine that to me, sounds very similar to a power steering pump that is low on fluid (it's not that.)

I am running Quantum Blue that I put in roughly two weeks ago. The noise predates the oil change, but has not changed.

Should I be worried?
HiPwr,

I am familiar with the noise that you are talking about. It is typical in the earlier models of the SRT8 6.1. This is one of the additive packages we designed and then added to the 12.5w40 QuantumBlue HP Competition Formula 6.1L Hemi blend that will address this issue. However, there is a slight amount of scoring that occurs in the pump area due to the lighter filmstrength of synthetic oils that come from the factory.

The additive package that we add to the QB will reduce the noise as you continue to drive the car. Usually it is complete in the 4-6K mile range.

As you have only had the oils for a little over 2 weeks, you have not driven it far enough to address this yet. Give it some time to work in and you will find that this noise will become less and less until virtually unrecognizable.

The noise by the way is harmless but does tend to be annoying when you hear it.

My SRT8 06 never made the noise as I got the 0w40 out of my engine within 800 miles of receiving it in April 2006.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Check out this TSB link and see if it applies to your vehicle. It probably does.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_0901106.pdf
This is the point I was making. You want film strength, NOT viscosity.

The less thinners and thickers oils you are adding to your formula the better the film strength.

Our 12.5w40 QuantumBlue HP Competition 6.1L Hemi blend is

12.5 + 40 = 52.5 div by 2 = 26.25 base oil.

The drop between the mean oil weight and the higher number on either side is only 13.75 ctp (centipoise)

The TSB sais 15w50 Mobil 1. That is 15 + 50 = 65 div by 2 or 32.5 BUT it has to drop 17 ctp and increase 17 ctp meaning that it's film strength will be compromised due to the thinners and thickers oils which aren't really lubricants.

The just stick heavier weight oils in and put on a sticker really doesn't address WHY it is occurring. We blend the oils with appropriate additive packages to deal with the internal issues with these engines effectively.:beerchug:

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
523 Posts
Are you loosing coolant? The whine I had ended up being a bad water pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts