Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my billet catch can today. Very easy, and good looking. A fine piece of machined metal. Just for fun, I pulled off the black rubber air filter intake
tube, opened up the butterfly on the throttle body, and peered inside with a flashlight. Whoa. The inside is like a big cavern. You can see the eight
square inlets for each cylinder. The middle/bottom of the intake is flat.
It was coated with oil. And since the engine tilts slightly from front to back,
there was a puddle of oil at the rear, probably about 3-4 ounces. So, let me guess. Instead of accumulating on the bottom of the manifold, it will now accumulate at the bottom of the catch can. Genius. But what about the swimming pool of oil in there now? Should I attach a sponge to a stick and
swish it around back in there to sop up the oil? Or will it burn off eventually?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I installed my billet catch can today. Very easy, and good looking. A fine piece of machined metal. Just for fun, I pulled off the black rubber air filter intake
tube, opened up the butterfly on the throttle body, and peered inside with a flashlight. Whoa. The inside is like a big cavern. You can see the eight
square inlets for each cylinder. The middle/bottom of the intake is flat.
It was coated with oil. And since the engine tilts slightly from front to back,
there was a puddle of oil at the rear, probably about 3-4 ounces. So, let me guess. Instead of accumulating on the bottom of the manifold, it will now accumulate at the bottom of the catch can. Genius. But what about the swimming pool of oil in there now? Should I attach a sponge to a stick and
swish it around back in there to sop up the oil? Or will it burn off eventually?
Mmmm - sounds like carp from the breather system.....

You can clean it out if you like - or hope that as it accumulates it gets sucked into the engine.... As long as it isn't coating the throttle plate and gumming the whole manifold up you 'could' leave it. But if you have the pipe off, it won't hurt to mop it up if it's bugging you. :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may give it a whirl and clean it up. With the catch can in place, it shouldn't
return.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
MWWAHAAAHAHA - now we have an action sequence! :D

You nutter! :grin:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yep

Get that oil out of there!

Also, anyone know where I can buy an "Engine Penguin"?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts