Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after going fast for so long, when i reenter da streets and start crusing to let it cool down the oil light comes on in da dash and my engine shuts off. Da weird part is dat i just turn it all da way to off den back on, and it usally starts with no problem. Does anyone what this could b or dealt wit it? or do i have to do an upgrade for da oil cooling system?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I think I understand what you asked, but just to make sure, let's drop the ebonics bull, and try in english, so we who have benefitted from the nations free educational programs might be able to best give you accurate advice.
Thank you

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Dude... WHAT?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I think I understand what you asked, but just to make sure, let's drop the ebonics bull, and try in english, so we who have benefitted from the nations free educational programs might be able to best give you accurate advice.
Thank you
thank you, i didnt want to be rude, but this stuff is driving me crazy, and hes not the first to do it.

and i thought my lack of capslock and apostrophes was bad :p

when was the last time you changed your oil man? hopefully within 5k miles?(some how im expecting a reply of "huh you have to change it?" but if you have.... then there may be other more serious problems if its enough to make your car shut down or go into limp mode

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Ok, heck with it. Do you have your oil changed at a Jiffy Lube type place? If so they may not know that you need 7 quarts, and if you are low on oil, the oil pressure may fall to low, causing HAL to think you will blow up the motor, and in turn cuts the ground to the fuel pump relay causing the engine to stop running in an attempt to save itself from the owner who runs the engine without enough oil. In short, go check your oil!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Ok, heck with it. Do you have your oil changed at a Jiffy Lube type place? If so they may not know that you need 7 quarts, and if you are low on oil, the oil pressure may fall to low, causing HAL to think you will blow up the motor, and in turn cuts the ground to the fuel pump relay causing the engine to stop running in an attempt to save itself from the owner who runs the engine without enough oil. In short, go check your oil!
That would also be my first course of action......:confused:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Oil lights are usually connected to switches that are set to trigger at ridiculously low oil pressures (like, 6 psi). If an OIL light comes on at any time, I'd be extremely concerned.

Translation for original poster: Anytime ya see da oil light on, be very trippin'. in the hood.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well after going fast for so long, when i reenter da streets and start crusing to let it cool down the oil light comes on in da dash and my engine shuts off. Da weird part is dat i just turn it all da way to off den back on, and it usally starts with no problem. Does anyone what this could b or dealt wit it? or do i have to do an upgrade for da oil cooling system?

My R/T did the same exact thing back in March '07 except i was driving normal. I was coming to a stop and my "oil light" came on and then the car shut off, it started back up after a minute. It did this the day after an oil change so i know i had enough clean fresh oil. I took it to the dealership the following morning and they checked the oil pressure and it came out ok. My car hasn't done it every since.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok first i'm not idiot when it comes to cars. I do my own oil changes and only take it to da dealer if i need something else done or checked. Its only happened in excessive speeds. Thinking about it, it has happened after i came to a complete stop and started going again. Once dropping off a friend and the second time after the track. Well not right after, on the way back home i reached a light on red and waitied like a good citizen:) lol When it turned green i turned into a 7/11 and went limp. Also i'm always on top of my oil levels and never low. i'm using Castrol synthic 5-25w, now i'm thinking of trying 5-30w. Not sure if that would add to it dropping. And for clearity, when the oil heats up it drops the pressure? i thought it would increase it or i'm i just off by a mile?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ok first i'm not idiot when it comes to cars. I do my own oil changes and only take it to da dealer if i need something else done or checked. Its only happened in excessive speeds. Thinking about it, it has happened after i came to a complete stop and started going again. Once dropping off a friend and the second time after the track. Well not right after, on the way back home i reached a light on red and waitied like a good citizen:) lol When it turned green i turned into a 7/11 and went limp. Also i'm always on top of my oil levels and never low. i'm using Castrol synthic 5-25w, now i'm thinking of trying 5-30w. Not sure if that would add to it dropping. And for clearity, when the oil heats up it drops the pressure? i thought it would increase it or i'm i just off by a mile?
Btw I'm assuming from your username that you have an R/T. If that's the case you need to be using 5-20w only. It should be stamped on your oil cap. When the oil heats up the pressure will Decrease. This is because as the oil heats up it moves more freely than it does when it's cold. At idle with the engine fully warmed up you should be around 20 psi. You should be around 50-55 psi when you're crusing the freeway. I don't see why limp mode would be activated by the motor oil though. I thought limp mode was only activated by transmission problems, or gear speeds not matching up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i was using 5-20 and it happened and so i figured if i went a little thicker it might help. so i'm guessing not? so i went wit 5-25 and now i'm not sure if to go thicker in hopes of it maintaining the oil pressure or if a have to an upgrade? if any body could tell me what i could to prevent this or try to reanact it so i could see what is actually doing it?

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Oil lights are usually connected to switches that are set to trigger at ridiculously low oil pressures (like, 6 psi). If an OIL light comes on at any time, I'd be extremely concerned.

Translation for original poster: Anytime ya see da oil light on, be very trippin'. in the hood.
In the Hemi, I think it's 4 psi! :knockout: :( Er... yo!

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Well i was using 5-20 and it happened and so i figured if i went a little thicker it might help. so i'm guessing not? so i went wit 5-25 and now i'm not sure if to go thicker in hopes of it maintaining the oil pressure or if a have to an upgrade? if any body could tell me what i could to prevent this or try to reanact it so i could see what is actually doing it?
Did you change it yourself and use 7 qts? What does the level on the dipstick show?

The 5-25 (which I've never heard of, but...) should have any bearing here.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
BTW you mentioned the car went "limp". Do you mean Limp Mode. If it went into limp mode I'd go into a dealer and have them read all the codes off the computer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it shut off on me and the oil light went on. So i'm not sure if thats limp mode or not? And well i have to do an oil change in bout 400 miles, so what do u guys say i do? i've also put a lucas sythic stabilzer. Not sure if that would mean anything?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
How many miles was it since your last oil change and how many quarts did you put in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you change it yourself and use 7 qts? What does the level on the dipstick show?

The 5-25 (which I've never heard of, but...) should have any bearing here.
Your right i messed up and let me fix it....I had 5-20 then 5-30 and still happened. and so should i go with something higher? which i'm not sure bout or shoul i go with some other brand? like royal purple? or something else?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
well i try to get it before 3000 miles and put 5 and a half with 1 and a half qts. of stabilzer
so your car is burning through 2.5 to 3 quarts of oil in 3000 miles. That's pretty high. How many miles are on your car? Also you should think of not using the stabilizer anymore

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
the first thing i would suggest you do is go back to 5w-20. that is the only oil that our engines should run with. anything else screws up mds. i dont think making the oil thicker is going to solve anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts