Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just checking something here, but the other day while driving, I checked my oil pressure and it was around 21-24lbs at idle, with the car at 230 degrees. I just felt that was a little low. It went up like normal when I got on the gas. But, I'm curious what you guys see as far as oil pressure, at full operating temperature, at idle. Maybe it's the oil? I don't know what's in there since I got it Friday and it's used. I would expect it's what's required in being Mobile One and the right weight, but who knows.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
well i dont ever check the oil pressure at idle, but when i'm on the hwy i always monitor it, and it's always between 49-51. I would guess that 21 is kinda low, but i've never really checked it at idle. i'll add it to my to do list hehe

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i dont ever check the oil pressure at idle, but when i'm on the hwy i always monitor it, and it's always between 49-51. I would guess that 21 is kinda low, but i've never really checked it at idle. i'll add it to my to do list hehe
Thanks, and please post back what you find. Yeah, even hot I see in the 40-50lb range when crusing, but that idle pressure caught me off-gard. My GMC I just traded in had over 30lbs at idle, hot. And, it had 175K miles on it. lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
The pressure you are experiencing at idle (21-24psig) is normal once the engine is heated to 200+ degrees F. I had the same concern but it is OK.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pressure you are experiencing at idle (21-24psig) is normal once the engine is heated to 200+ degrees F. I had the same concern but it is OK.
Thanks, great to hear. The more confirmations the better. lol

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I checked mine after I got off freeway going into work last night.
After a 40 minute drive I had 19 psi at idle. Hope thats o.k.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked mine after I got off freeway going into work last night.
After a 40 minute drive I had 19 psi at idle. Hope thats o.k.
Yeah, I guess. lol I'll just have to get used to it. Though it's normal for the cars, it still freaks me out. I'm used to GMs, which still keep 30-35psi at idle. But, I'm happy to hear that mine is like yours and the rest of them. Thanks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hey...here is a good one!

I was driving on the highway last week and hammered it and my oil pressure sensor light went on!!!!

I panicked! Basically, I switched the EVIC over to system and checked the pressure and it was slowly dropping off and finally went to zero.

I'm thinking.....should be a BOOM soon enough....so I coasted to the side of the road and checked the temperature and all was normal. I shut it down, checked the oil and sat back down ready to call roadside assistance.

However, upon turning the car back on, everything was back to normal. I haven't noticed anything yet. I'm thinking for some strange reason, the sensor must have failed.

Keeping an eye on it though!

·
Registered
161 Posts
This was the first thing I asked the service dept at my dealer when I got my car last year. I noticed the lower oil pressure when hot too. They supposedly called dodge and they said the minimum oil pressure was 5psi. In the 20's is ok for a hot engine.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Normal, normal, normal! I, too, had 19 psi reading once...and was concerned. Checked into it, and was told that it was normal and not to worry.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My humble 5.7 ranges between 19 & 21 psi when at operating temperature...

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
yup same idle psi for me..anywhere from as low as 17-25 idle

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Get this: the Service Manual says the minimum acceptable oil pressure (for the 5.7L) is 4 psi when hot at idle! :nervous s

So, you're good-to-go! :grin:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
now thats nearly frightening HC

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
now thats nearly frightening HC
Yep. This is for the 6.1L, from page 9-2478 (It's the same as for the 5.7 on page 9 - 2313):

OIL PRESSURE

At Curb Idle Speed (MIN)*
25 kPa (4 psi)​

@ 3000 rpm
170 - 758 kPa (25 - 110 psi)

* CAUTION: If pressure is zero at curb idle, DO NOT run engine

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the additional info guys. All I can say is, if my car had 4lbs of oil pressure I'd be pounding on a dealers' door, I don't care what that manual says. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
:wink: Remember the general rule of thumb:

10 psi for every 1,000 rpm

If we are running 17-22 at 500-600 rpm, we are in good shape.

Also, our motors run naturally warm, which furthur thins the oil when warm. Running light 5w20 in the 5.7's does not help, but we cannot get around that unless we disable MDS. The MDS is partially relaint on oil pressure for proper collapsing of the lifters during MDS operation. Pressure needs to be kept at a low enough level for proper functioning, so this may be part of the explananation.

The only concern I have is when these motors get 150k+ miles and the bearing clearances start to open up, somewhat lowering pressure further. Typically, uping to a higher viscosity, such as 5w30 or 10w40 would help, but Chrysler is expecting us to run 5w20 for proper MDS operation. I would like to know what their solution is to this( if its buy a new car, please don't tell me Chrysler, as that is just an excuse). At worst case scenario, I will use the tuner to disable MDS and run a thicker oil when the time comes. Gas milage will suffer some, but it will still be good for a hipo engine.

Moral of the reply: oil pressure is a ok and should not go lower, as our 5w20 oil breaks fown easier in heat.

So go out and drive her like you stole her....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get this: the Service Manual says the minimum acceptable oil pressure (for the 5.7L) is 4 psi when hot at idle! :nervous s

So, you're good-to-go! :grin:
Yeah it is amazing how low is acceptable. I know in the Neon is also 4 psi. And I spun all 4 rod bearings without the light coming on, long story short the pickup got clogged.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts