Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did the gas tank replacement last week. It is running real rough with the lightning bolt symbol on. Then I got the throttle reading of 102% when I did the key on-off reading. I ordered a new throttle pedal assembly but don't have it yet. I also noticed that above that it reads oil pressure. I have a reading of 62 psi when the engine is not on and has not been running. Is this a good indication that the oil pressure switch is bad also? I purchased one but didn't install it yet. Thanks.

:banana:

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Sounds normal for the readings, mine has done that since i bought it, while it is off it will give that throttle reading and usually about the same oil psi.
The lightning bolt may mean your battery is going or wasnt connected correctly/tightly after putting in the new fuel tank. Try making sure connections are tight then report back.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery good

Checked battery a couple of times with no problems. I am trying to figure out why that oil reading is at 62 psi when car was shut off at idle the pressure would have been much lower if it held the last reading. I got a code that the oil pressure switch was bad so I ordered one but now I don't get the reading. I have a code reader but it is not reading the same codes as the EVIC in the car. I can't get the car to start right at all now. It starts and idles very rough and stalls almost every time. The lightning bolt is always on. If I turn the key on without starting, the lightning bolt is the last light to go off and when it does the check engine light starts blinking. I am hoping the throttle pedal replacement will solve it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Gas tank

I was having the stalling problem before I had the gas tank changed. I sadly picked my local Dodge dealer to do the work and when I gave him the printout of the "lifetime warranty" he ignored it and did a bunch of things to "correct" the problem. When I picked it up he told me it was fixed and charged me $250. The car stalled three times on the way home and I stopped payment on the bill. I took it to the dealer I originally bought the car from and he changed the tank in two days at no charge to me. When I drove it home it from the replacement it was fine and did not stall. The starting rough problem was there before I had the gas tank changed. If it started smooth it was fine to drive, and if it started rough I would shut it off and restart it. It would only happen once in a while, but was getting worse. The gas tank change did not seem to affect the bad starting problem, but it just keep getting worse. I cannot get the car to start at all now without the rough running and the lightning bolt on. I have a throttle pedal coming but it won't be here until next week and I will be gone for a vacation so it will not get installed until two weeks from now. My EVIC says the throttle pedal is at 102% when the car is not running, so I am hoping that is the problem. I will change the oil pressure switch also just to be safe.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Well what codes are being shown on both car and code reader?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The lightning bolt is the Throttle MIL. If it is on, check for codes. It usually means there is an issue with the throttle body not the pedal assembly. The TB may need to be cleaned or possibly replaced.

The 102% reading with the car off is normal as is oil pressure with the car off. They are the factory "off default display".

The hard start/rough idle issue sounds like the cam position sensor or crank position sensor (maybe both). Start with the cam positions sensor. It's cheap and an easy DIY. Only takes 10 minutes and it's one bolt and an electrical connection.

Also, a bad Cam sensor can cause the TB light to happen since the computer loses track of the engine operating parameters and it causes a fault in the TB program since it can't match the throttle position to the engine parameters.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done that

Already replaced cam sensor - didn't help. Throttle body was removed and cleaned inside and out. No difference. I already have the pedal in transit so I will put that in first just to rule that out. I did replace the pcm a couple of years ago. I wonder if it just be going bad again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts